Make a donation

Author Topic: Air conditioning dead after 1 year????  (Read 1914 times)

Offline neiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Air conditioning dead after 1 year????
« on: July 25, 2016, 05:13:16 pm »
Any1 else had this problem I got my system recharged about 1 year ago but noticed with the recent hot weather that it's not even slightly cooling the air !

What are the symptoms of a bad compressor ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
Re: Air conditioning dead after 1 year????
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 06:37:30 pm »
Leak somewhere?

Pretty sure it should throw up a code of some sort.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline BristolBoy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 06:56:11 pm »
Sensor gone porous, allowing gas to leak out?  Lots on here about that. Or "O" rings failed?

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 07:18:47 pm »
As above if gas it low it will throw up a fault.
Pressure sensors also common to go.

Offline neiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 09:02:47 pm »
Cheers lads I'll get it scanned with vcds and check for codes and see if I can find the sensor

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline andy7ven

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 30
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 09:23:25 pm »
Mine blows nice and icy (had it gassed and cleaned about 2-3 times in the 7 years of ownership). The problem I'm having is a squeal (like a belt) when moving off in 1st gear also if the engine struggles (such as changing into 3rd/4th going up a steep hill)...  :thinking:

Doesn't do it when A/C is off, or when driving - any ideas? Was like it last year, didn't fancy having me trousers down at the stealers!!!  :booty:

Offline wayneitb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: MK5 GTI
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 09:34:45 pm »
I thought my compressor was on the way out, started making that odd noise which indicates a bad compressor, but did a scan with VAGCOM and it come up as, coolant gas low, got the air con recharged, and all is working good again.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 10:02:29 pm »
Mine blows nice and icy (had it gassed and cleaned about 2-3 times in the 7 years of ownership). The problem I'm having is a squeal (like a belt) when moving off in 1st gear also if the engine struggles (such as changing into 3rd/4th going up a steep hill)...  :thinking:

Doesn't do it when A/C is off, or when driving - any ideas? Was like it last year, didn't fancy having me trousers down at the stealers!!!  :booty:

Interested to know if anyone knows this?

I'm having the same problem with that noise for 2 years now. I've never tested it with AC on so I'll do that tomorrow.

The belt noise I think is my alternator belt but I had it all checked and belt, bearings etc are all perfect.

Be interested to see if the squeal goes away when ac is on.

Offline andy7ven

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 30
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 10:18:55 pm »
Even more confusing it didn't do it at all today in the 30 minute drive. After stopping the car and then starting it again to go home back to the squealing again, it's bloody embarrassing!!!  :sick:

I've searched the internet and the results always point to alternator belt/tensioners. We all know VW will go to town and say it's the condenser ect  :booty:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 11:44:56 am »
Even more confusing it didn't do it at all today in the 30 minute drive. After stopping the car and then starting it again to go home back to the squealing again, it's bloody embarrassing!!!  :sick:

I've searched the internet and the results always point to alternator belt/tensioners. We all know VW will go to town and say it's the condenser ect  :booty:

They do all point that way. I actually gave up troubleshooting and gave it into VW.

I told them I have VCDS and I don't want them doing a €100 VCDS scan. I only want a physical check of the tensioners and pulleys.

Needless to say they gave it back to me, said everything was in perfect order and charged me €100 for a scan.

I drove with AC on this morning and no squeal. Could just be coincidence so I'll trial it over the week!

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 01:49:38 pm »
to add another set of symptoms to the mix...
As far as as I know, I still have the original AC parts fitted.

Mine cools OK, but has an irritating mechanical noise, not a belt squeal,  when engaged (ie on). A bit like a rumbly bearing...

I have been suspecting the compressor, or perhaps it's more likely the clutch/drive coupling? can these be repaired separately if needed, or best a new compressor if its clutch has gone?
Any thoughts fellas?