Make a donation

Author Topic: irractic idle after timing chain and belt change  (Read 4092 times)

Offline GTI-MATT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • GTI-MATT
    • Email
irractic idle after timing chain and belt change
« on: July 30, 2016, 07:30:55 pm »
I done a timing belt, cam chain and tensioner change and when i started it up it surges at idle after a couple of seconds of running. I then took the car down the road and it drives perfect but then the mangement light came on. Read the fault code and it came up with P000A/000010 - Camshaft A (Bank 1 Intake): Positioner Slow Response. I am 100% confident the timing is correct so wat else could it be? I read something about some o rings that seals the oil feed in the chain case to the camshaft adjuster. Anybody had this problem just want some ideas before i strip it again monday morning. Cheers

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: irractic idle after timing chain and belt change
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 08:53:41 pm »
If you haven't already read this http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106158.0.html

Then check with VCDS what timing values you have for the measuring block quoted in the above post. If your values match what they should be then come back.

Offline GTI-MATT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • GTI-MATT
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 09:03:25 pm »
Excellent thanks mate

Offline Hannon8

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 08:01:15 am »
I had a golf come to me with the same problem a few weeks back, turned out the cam timing was out slightly, and 2 of the 3 plastic rings/seals on the cam adjuster were broken from where they had put it back on.

I recommend to always change the rings/seals when doing the timing chain as they seem to go extremely brittle over time. Especially for the sake of the £18 or so that they cost.

Car ran perfectly after having them replaced and the timing adjusted, hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GTI-MATT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • GTI-MATT
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 11:14:44 pm »
Thanks for the info guys :happy2: didnt have chance today first thing on the list for the morning so il report back as soon as i get the readings.

Offline GTI-MATT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • GTI-MATT
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 09:50:49 pm »
Just a quick update timing was all bang on. 2 out of 3 o rings where split where the oil feed goes into the camshaft adjuster. Didn even realise they where in there when i 1st done the job learnt now tho :happy2: thanks for the info tho guys :congrats:

Offline GTI-MATT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • GTI-MATT
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 07:58:37 am »
These ones where perished i put a little screwdriver under them to get them off and they fell to bits. Only a couple of quid like someone else said change them evertime you take the cover off. If i knew they where there i would of :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lcquosqms7e5bq7ajkh30hovfr&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 08:49:21 am »
Yeah. They are oil seals.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 09:00:10 am »
The N205 works by directing oil through different channels/holes/routes (whatever you want to call them). The O rings maintain an oil-tight seal between each one so that you only get the oil pressure in the correct channel resulting in the correct camshaft adjustment

This PDF explains it pretty well if you ignore the exhaust side of things: www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_246.pdf
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 09:17:48 am »
Oh ok cheers Dan! So I guess if your adjustment is correct then your seals are in tact! Will take a read of that PDF at lunch  :happy2:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 09:48:53 am »
If specified and actual match at all times then the seals are not causing an issue. Will probably be fine until the next time they are disturbed
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 09:51:24 am »
By matching at all times, at idle the actual adjustment varies from 23.5 to 25 kw but mostly sits at 23.5/24

When revved, they all jump over the place, but think they "stay matching"

Thanks for the info!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lcquosqms7e5bq7ajkh30hovfr&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 09:51:57 am »
Very good PDF that.... I didnt realise thats how it worked. No wonder the adjuster is about 350quid