Make a donation

Author Topic: Best location for connecting to reverse lights to power your rear view camera?  (Read 2032 times)

Fergie

Hi All, First time golfer with a fantastic Edition 30.

Hopefully get some advice from experienced owners please.

I have replaced the head unit so we can have GPS, Bluetooth etc, and all is well. The small problem I have is picking up power for the reversing camera. To make life easy i have used wireless transmitter and receiver. I have proved the system with a temporary supply, but only want the camera powered with reverse gear is engaged.

When I investigated I identified that the reverse light cluster is on the boot lid and the camera mount will be on the rear bumper above the number plate. This looks like a bit of a job to run the wiring between the two locations.

Is there a point on the loom, maybe a fuse box or other location that I can pick the reverse live to feed the camera please?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 01:39:07 pm by Fergie »

Fergie

Hi All,

Still new to forums, posting and Golf GTI ED30.

Just thought I would update on the fitting reversing camera. Despite extensive searching I found no solution on the forum.
I eventually worked out that the best way to do this was to use an (£8 ebay) canbus relay to pick up signal only from the reverse light and wire power for the camera from the -/+12v power outlet in the boot using the ignition live through the relay.
The canbus signal controls the 12v power through the relay and the camera is only live when the reverse gear is selected.
All the connections are soldered.
To make life easy I used a wireless transmitter and receiver pair. This works perfectly when the head unit is on or off, as soon as reverse is selected the screen shows the rear camera input signal.