Make a donation

Author Topic: Clicking noise when braking  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Eddcunningham

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Clicking noise when braking
« on: July 30, 2016, 06:05:02 pm »
Hi all,

It's just one thing after a-bloody-nother with this car!

After just shelling out close to a grand on a wheel bearing (rear), brake fluid change, spark plugs and air con compressor, my car is now making a clicking noise when braking!  :fighting:

Happens in or out of gear and doesn't seem to be dependent on whether it's warm or not.
Think I've isolated it to front drivers side, but can't be sure. Sounds almost metallic?
I've checked the brakes over and there doesn't seem to be anything catching at all and I'm running standard everything on my 06 GTI.

Should add that the pads and discs are still somewhat new (3/4 months old) as well as the cv boots. The drive shafts were removed and cleaned when boots were fitted.

Anyone got any idea what this could be?
Starting to think about getting rid tbh, as this car is costing me an absolute fortune :(

Offline Aaron75

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Clicking noise when braking
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 07:41:51 pm »
I know this one despite being a newbie on here, having read around a lot of forums. I have read about this phenomenon on Golfs and Passats.
The bolts holding the subframe can stretch or the bolts need torquing up. However there's a permanent fix by way of fitting spacers, check link to see the spacer and how to recognise issue and the fix guide.
You can buy the spacers from TPS.