Make a donation

Author Topic: Clutch Issues  (Read 1084 times)

Offline KieranM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
Clutch Issues
« on: August 03, 2016, 11:47:20 pm »
I've recently bought a Helix clutch kit from AKS and put it in and ever since it was fitted I've been having a few issues.
I often struggle to get 1st and reverse, mainly when I've been sitting in traffic or sitting idling for a while, but I manage to get 1st and reverse perfectly fine if the car is turned off. I also sometimes struggle to get gears when I'm changing close to the redline and the biting point of the clutch is about 1mm off the the floor.
I've tried bleeding the clutch a couple of times and it doesn't seemed too have made a difference, could it be that there is still air trapped in the system or is it a completely different problem?

Offline Paulo P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: Clutch Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 11:21:41 am »
I had trouble getting reverse gear the same as you're experiencing on a Focus ST, I took it back to Ford because it was under warranty and they blamed a lack of grease on the input shaft causing it but refused to fix it under warranty.

I wonder if that's the same case for you?

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 11:30:03 am »
What reg is the car? If pre-08 it sounds like a shim is needed. Have a chat to Alex @ AKS and he can sort you the parts needed
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline KieranM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 02:54:44 pm »
It's a 07 plate. What is the shim for? I take it it's a gearbox out job?

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 03:14:34 pm »
I think anything pre 07 or 08 (cannot remember) can have a shim fitted to help with end float. Its not an issue on later cars as the boxes are machined differently (doing the same job as the shim).

Thankfully not a box out job - just a removal of the plastic cover/plate thing on the side of the box.

TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 03:39:51 pm »
I've recently bought a Helix clutch kit from AKS and put it in and ever since it was fitted I've been having a few issues.
I often struggle to get 1st and reverse, mainly when I've been sitting in traffic or sitting idling for a while, but I manage to get 1st and reverse perfectly fine if the car is turned off. I also sometimes struggle to get gears when I'm changing close to the redline and the biting point of the clutch is about 1mm off the the floor.
I've tried bleeding the clutch a couple of times and it doesn't seemed too have made a difference, could it be that there is still air trapped in the system or is it a completely different problem?

@vRSAlex