Make a donation

Author Topic: Coil Packs. Which type, and where's cheapest?  (Read 6355 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Coil Packs. Which type, and where's cheapest?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 04:55:31 pm »
1.8t lol rings bells when I bough a set 6 years back.

£28 rough guess. @irish_ram I'm sure I bought one off you a while back  :signLOL:

yeah think I gave you a very cheap rate and made no profit at all  :grin:

Got mine from euro but cannot remember price, in the £20ish area I think
You're a diamond mate at £15 I wouldn't complain one bit and brand new too :drinking:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:37:40 pm by r5gtt »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 05:25:21 pm »
R8 coils AJP ?
Yeah, I'm going to ring @vRSAlex on Monday and get a full set. It's on its original coils as far as I know, on 78k. So it makes sense to renew them all.

Just when I'd got the thing running nicely too. Bloody car.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 05:31:07 pm »
I got a flashing engine light earlier (the one that's a diagram of an engine) which cleared once I'd lifted off and used light throttle at 1500-200rpm. Under any kind of load it's misfiring like mad, jerking, all the rest of it. Definitely feels like a bad coil.

On the way home just now, the warning light came back and stayed on solid rather than flashing.

One question though.. the warning light that's a diagram of an engine denotes an exhaust fault doesn't it?? Am I barking up the wrong tree here thinking coilpack?!

And yes @R5GTT I know I should have VCDS by now...!

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 06:21:19 pm »
I got a flashing engine light earlier (the one that's a diagram of an engine) which cleared once I'd lifted off and used light throttle at 1500-200rpm. Under any kind of load it's misfiring like mad, jerking, all the rest of it. Definitely feels like a bad coil.

On the way home just now, the warning light came back and stayed on solid rather than flashing.

One question though.. the warning light that's a diagram of an engine denotes an exhaust fault doesn't it?? Am I barking up the wrong tree here thinking coilpack?!

It is the Engine Management Light I think you are talking about. It is also classed as the Exhaust Emissions too but many think it is only the exhaust. This light will pop up for Engine issue and did with me for the Coil Pack. If you do not have VCDS and want to test it is coil packs then buy 1 new one and start from left to right replacing 1 at a time and see if issue goes. This will identify fault if only 1 coil at fault. If more you really need VCDS to do a misfire test

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 06:28:52 pm »

It is the Engine Management Light I think you are talking about. It is also classed as the Exhaust Emissions too but many think it is only the exhaust. This light will pop up for Engine issue and did with me for the Coil Pack. If you do not have VCDS and want to test it is coil packs then buy 1 new one and start from left to right replacing 1 at a time and see if issue goes. This will identify fault if only 1 coil at fault. If more you really need VCDS to do a misfire test
Cheers mate. I got the impression any fault other than an exhaust/lambda fault would be the EPC light. Which incidentally I've never had on mine.

I think I might just bang a new set of four in for peace of mind. Like I said, they're all 78k old as far as I know. And it won't break the bank to do all four.

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2016, 06:32:32 pm »

Cheers mate. I got the impression any fault other than an exhaust/lambda fault would be the EPC light. Which incidentally I've never had on mine.

I think I might just bang a new set of four in for peace of mind. Like I said, they're all 78k old as far as I know. And it won't break the bank to do all four.

Good shout to replace all, might be worth replacing spark plugs too as not too much extra and they can cause the misfire issue too  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2016, 06:33:28 pm »
It had new plugs a couple of months ago, so touch wood they should be ok!

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2016, 06:37:58 pm »

Nice one, faults are always good when it forces you to upgrade, R8's on the way  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2016, 06:40:09 pm »
Haha, that's all I seem to be doing at the minute! Loba pump to cure fuel cuts... R8 coils to cure this... oh and I've got some big calipers ready to cure the sh*t standard brakes

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2016, 07:18:13 pm »
Yes you should of had one by now you  :slap:

As Irish_ram says exhaust emissions light.

If a coil pack fails the emissions can go hay wire so CEL Mil will illuminate until the cars turned off and on again. will require reset eventually.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2016, 07:21:34 pm »
BKR7EIX on a mapped ride   :doh:

Offline GTI8v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2016, 07:27:14 pm »
I got no lights or fault codes with my dodgy coilpack, was like a bucking bronco under load but never a light.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2016, 07:34:07 pm »
BKR7EIX on a mapped ride   :doh:
I'm on Bosch. Might look into different plugs at some point, but assuming new coils fix the misfires I'll stick with them for now.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 07:35:10 pm »
I got no lights or fault codes with my dodgy coilpack, was like a bucking bronco under load but never a light.
That's definitely how I'd describe mine! I didn't get the engine light straight away, but it did eventually show.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2016, 07:37:10 pm »
It also depends on the coil pack that's failed. Had it with my tt weeks into ownership and there was also an odd smell coming into the car with buckling and jerking home on a Saturday evening.