Make a donation

Author Topic: R-tech stage 1, will i need a new clutch?  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Norfolk Ollie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
R-tech stage 1, will i need a new clutch?
« on: August 20, 2016, 06:57:48 pm »
Hi there, sorry if this has been asked before but is it likely that I'd need a new clutch if getting a R-tech stage 1 map done? I've heard that the high torque can knacker the clutch so is there a way that R-tech can reduce the likely hood of this? Also is there a 5 map option for stage 1? Cheers, Ollie.  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: R-tech stage 1, will i need a new clutch?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 07:22:55 pm »
It really depends just how worn your clutch is to start with, and there's no really accurate way of knowing that. But I think you'll find the majority have been ok with Stage 1.

Mine was fine after Stage 1 R-Tech. It made just under 300lb/ft on that map. It was only when I had a full Powervalve fitted that my clutch started to slip. When I eventually got round to the Stage 2 map the dyno showed that the exhaust had released an extra 20lb/ft of torque at peak, but also it held higher torque for longer. So it stands to reason the clutch would have been more stressed.

I got an uprated clutch (Helix Organic) before the Stage 2 map, and that was that.

I've read about 380lb/ft ed30s 'coping' on standard clutches. And out of all the maps, R-Tech in particular are more progressive, so will be kinder on a clutch.

Niki will be able to map the car how you want it mapped. If you tell him about clutch concerns he will keep the torque down. As for the 5 map thing, I don't know if I ever got that option with mine. If I wasn't so lazy I'd check, but I'm happy with the map it's on so I can't be arsed. If you do get 5 maps, it'd be handy to have the option of switching to a low torque map if your clutch does play up some time down the line. Just ask Niki and I'm sure he'll sort it.

Offline Norfolk Ollie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 08:38:02 pm »
It really depends just how worn your clutch is to start with, and there's no really accurate way of knowing that. But I think you'll find the majority have been ok with Stage 1.

Mine was fine after Stage 1 R-Tech. It made just under 300lb/ft on that map. It was only when I had a full Powervalve fitted that my clutch started to slip. When I eventually got round to the Stage 2 map the dyno showed that the exhaust had released an extra 20lb/ft of torque at peak, but also it held higher torque for longer. So it stands to reason the clutch would have been more stressed.

I got an uprated clutch (Helix Organic) before the Stage 2 map, and that was that.

I've read about 380lb/ft ed30s 'coping' on standard clutches. And out of all the maps, R-Tech in particular are more progressive, so will be kinder on a clutch.

Niki will be able to map the car how you want it mapped. If you tell him about clutch concerns he will keep the torque down. As for the 5 map thing, I don't know if I ever got that option with mine. If I wasn't so lazy I'd check, but I'm happy with the map it's on so I can't be arsed. If you do get 5 maps, it'd be handy to have the option of switching to a low torque map if your clutch does play up some time down the line. Just ask Niki and I'm sure he'll sort it.

Cheers for that AJP, really appreciated mate.  :happy2: Did you get a linear map or the standard R-tech stage one? How did you find it?
Cheers, Ollie.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 08:46:51 pm »
No probs mate. Standard Stage 1. The linear R-Tech maps, as far as I know, are 1:1 throttle maps that seem to be more of a 350bhp+ k04 thing.

You could describe any R-Tech map as linear, in terms of the power curve, in comparison to some other tuners where all the torque comes in one big hit and tails off quickly. R-Tech maps are more progressive, whether it's the Stage 1 or 2+ k04.

As for how I find it, well it was spot on, as is the Stage 2 I'm on now. I've had lots of maps on lots of different cars and this is right up there. Their reputation is justified.

Offline Norfolk Ollie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 08:58:04 pm »
Yeah I've only read great things about them! I must admit that the standard car does feel a bit 'flat'- it does kick me back in the seat when I boot it but not as much as I'd like!  :driver:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 09:23:41 pm »
Yeah I've only read great things about them! I must admit that the standard car does feel a bit 'flat'- it does kick me back in the seat when I boot it but not as much as I'd like!  :driver:
They're not the quickest things in the world on the stock map, but even so, make sure you've got the basics done before the map - dv, pcv, cam follower - if you haven't already.

Offline Norfolk Ollie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 09:39:32 pm »
Yep well pointed out - I had the CF done last week and I'll gonna get R-tech to replace the DV and PCV system.  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 10:32:29 pm »
Should be good to go. Maybe a good idea to get a scan done and a service, or at least plugs.

Offline Norfolk Ollie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 05:40:03 am »
Cheers fella- I bought the car three months ago from a dealer, who gave it a full service plus my mate ran a scan on his laptop so hopefully should be ok.
Thanks again for your help  :happy2: