Make a donation

Author Topic: Spark plug gaps  (Read 46135 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Spark plug gaps
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2016, 05:29:19 pm »
Alex uses them, I believe. I'm sure mine went there for checking
Thanks mate. I'll check them out

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2016, 12:41:03 am »
Want to share this with you.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=371649669341&alt=web
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for that mate. I wonder if there's any value in getting these refurbed. Might be a better approach to replacing odd injectors and pretty much waiting for the next to fail, and it'd in theory be as good as 4 new injectors. Not sure on prices for refurb. Will have a read up.

Of course, it's a bit of a punt to assume it is the injector causing the misfires, although it seems much more likely to be that than anything else at this stage.
If you're really thinking of refurbishing them then maybe better off buying a new set as I don't think it will be cheap tbh.
Surprisingly, it's not too bad. About 60 quid for a set of four, unless I'm missing something. If you go on the website it tells you the process, and it seems to go a fair bit further than just ultrasonic cleaning.

Considering the price of a new injector, this option is miles cheaper.
Sounds a fair price  :happy2: maybe choose that option over new  :grin:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 677
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2016, 01:27:27 pm »
Bloody heck man thought you were getting some where ans bang it's back to bite you in a butt. :thinking: I know you say misfire on cylinder two so maybe it is the injector after all.
I know, it's getting silly now. Why couldn't it do this when Mike did the logging with me two days ago? WHY?!

Yeah if I had to guess I'd say injector. Would a knackered injector be obvious to the eye once it's removed? I'm guessing it'd need the spray testing to come to any sort of conclusion. But an intermittently failing injector, I'm not sure.

At least I've got it booked in, even though it's a few weeks away I'm confident Steve will at the very least diagnose it. If it means the injector needs replacing then so be it. Just want the bloody thing sorted.

Nope, not obvious.  The nozzle on mine wasn't clogged at all. Looked identical to the other 3 which worked fine.  I think something internal just wears out on them over time.

It's certainly looking like it's the cause.  Holding back in boost is usually always a sign of insufficient fuel, and that clanking noise was detonation, so be very careful until you get this sorted.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2016, 02:01:39 pm »
Bloody heck man thought you were getting some where ans bang it's back to bite you in a butt. :thinking: I know you say misfire on cylinder two so maybe it is the injector after all.
I know, it's getting silly now. Why couldn't it do this when Mike did the logging with me two days ago? WHY?!

Yeah if I had to guess I'd say injector. Would a knackered injector be obvious to the eye once it's removed? I'm guessing it'd need the spray testing to come to any sort of conclusion. But an intermittently failing injector, I'm not sure.

At least I've got it booked in, even though it's a few weeks away I'm confident Steve will at the very least diagnose it. If it means the injector needs replacing then so be it. Just want the bloody thing sorted.

Nope, not obvious.  The nozzle on mine wasn't clogged at all. Looked identical to the other 3 which worked fine.  I think something internal just wears out on them over time.

It's certainly looking like it's the cause.  Holding back in boost is usually always a sign of insufficient fuel, and that clanking noise was detonation, so be very careful until you get this sorted.
Thanks mate. I'm hoping to catch up with Steve again soon, see what he thinks about the idea of getting a full set of refurbed injectors in.

I've decided not to do the trip to Wales, there just seems like too much to risk, and it buys me a bit of time. Which is a shame because the weather should have been good; the next I can get down is October and it starts getting a bit fresh on the coast!

Anyway, no misfires today.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 677
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2016, 04:22:55 pm »

Thanks mate. I'm hoping to catch up with Steve again soon, see what he thinks about the idea of getting a full set of refurbed injectors in.

I've decided not to do the trip to Wales, there just seems like too much to risk, and it buys me a bit of time. Which is a shame because the weather should have been good; the next I can get down is October and it starts getting a bit fresh on the coast!

Yeah it's a bit risky!  The most damaging detonation can't usually be heard because it's higher up the revs, and then it's usually too late.   It would be better if the injector failed completely because no fuel = nothing to burn and therefore no det.  But they kind of half work and cause a very lean burn, which is dangerous to your engine's health!

Given how common this problem is, I'd definitely be sticking some new ones or refurbed ones in asap!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2016, 04:30:14 pm »

Yeah it's a bit risky!  The most damaging detonation can't usually be heard because it's higher up the revs, and then it's usually too late.   It would be better if the injector failed completely because no fuel = nothing to burn and therefore no det.  But they kind of half work and cause a very lean burn, which is dangerous to your engine's health!

Given how common this problem is, I'd definitely be sticking some new ones or refurbed ones in asap!
I've now got a used set on the way which I'll be getting refurbished by mrinjector.co.uk - just waiting for a reply from him as he's closed til 31st. They will be going in when I'm at Statller at the end of September.

I've also spoken to Steve and emailed him the data logs. I don't know if he'll see anything suspect there as the car was running spot on when we did the logs.

So, there's a bit of a wait til I get the injectors in but at least then I can in theory rule out plugs, coils and injectors. From then it's a case of fingers crossed. Any more misfires could point to something much more expensive. Although the compression is good across all 4 so I'm quietly confident.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2016, 11:42:24 am »
Right, received that set of 4 injectors off ebay today.

However...

Two have a domed nozzle, two don't. That's surely not right is it?! Got a feeling I might be sending these back.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2016, 12:49:51 pm »

Ill get you a pic of the one that came out cyl 3 on mine later. Almost certain they should match?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2016, 01:01:53 pm »

Ill get you a pic of the one that came out cyl 3 on mine later. Almost certain they should match?
That'd be a big help Mike, thanks. I could also do with knowing the number on yours that starts 0261500.

And yes, they're not a matching set. Confirmed by Mr Injector himself earlier today!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2016, 01:10:39 pm »
Gimme a text in a bit to remind me.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2016, 02:03:36 pm »
Gimme a text in a bit to remind me.
Will do

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2016, 05:40:47 pm »

However...

Two have a domed nozzle, two don't. That's surely not right is it?! Got a feeling I might be sending these back.
That looks melted or something similar  :thinking:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2016, 05:47:32 pm »

However...

That looks melted or something similar  :thinking:
Two different injectors mate

I couldn't decipher any numbers stamped on them (maybe suspiciously?) but if and when I do I'm expecting them to differ.

I think the correct Bosch number for the injector is 0261500020. VW number 06F906036A. Just seeing if Mike (or anyone else?) can confirm this and whether this injector has the little domed nozzle.

But yeah, I will be contacting the seller soon!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2016, 05:57:22 pm »
Bloody heck what a headache buying stuff  :doh:

Maybe they have two different types in our cars?. no?
quite weird though  :thinking:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2016, 07:10:31 pm »
Bloody heck what a headache buying stuff  :doh:

Maybe they have two different types in our cars?. no?
quite weird though  :thinking:
Well after a bit of a closer look, the part numbers are illegible on all but one injector, where I can read 06F906036A and 0261500020. This is one of the two domed injectors (which I expect Mike will confirm is the correct type).

On one of the other two, I can just make out some faint lettering. And it says.......... 1J0. Unbelievable!