Make a donation

Author Topic: Suspension Options  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
Suspension Options
« on: September 13, 2016, 05:11:48 pm »
Afternoon everyone. Just after some opinions on what to do really as I cannot make my mind up.

So as life plans have changed slightly (house move before a new car) I need to think about sorting my suspension out. Car is currently on a set of H&R's that have around 45k on them. Standard dampers are now ready for the bin and on 75k. Other suspension mods which might be worth noting are a Whiteline RARB and Superpro ALK. It looks like I will be keeping the car now for the next 18 months to 2 years before I think about swapping.

So as I see it my options are:

1. Replace dampers with VW Economy Sport units (£200 full set including new rear bump stops) keeping the H&R's. Get back some reasonable handling and comfort back but risk the dampers not lasting very long again. Still looks good.

2. Replace dampers with VW Economy Sport units but re-fit standard springs. Not sure how it will handle with RARB and SALK, most definitely comfier, I won't keep catching the splitter, dampers will last longer but looks worse.

3. Replace dampers with Bilsteins BUT at possibly double the cost, keep the H&R's, handling should be improved, not sure on the comfort, dampers will last longer, still looks good and can sell on here once removed to get some money back when it is time to swap.

Part of me wants more comfort based on the fact it rides like a heap at the minute. Extremely crashy and very vague in the corners. The other part of me still wants to have good handling for playing about but can't justify throwing loads of money at it with it going in the not to distant future.

Any thoughts are appreciated  :drinking:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Suspension Options
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 05:25:35 pm »
Have a read through this when you've got time:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=108735.msg1053080.msg#1053080

It also links to another thread which itself links to more info. Plenty of ideas to think about.

I'm not sure if the VW Economy Sport dampers you mention are the same as the VW Racing set, but they're one option to add to the list.

I'm in the same position as you - H&Rs on standard (78k and tired) shocks, and I'll be looking to upgrade some time soon. We do have loads to choose from with the mk5, it's just a case of doing the research!

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 05:34:16 pm »

It also links to another thread which itself links to more info. Plenty of ideas to think about.

I'm not sure if the VW Economy Sport dampers you mention are the same as the VW Racing set, but they're one option to add to the list.

I'm in the same position as you - H&Rs on standard (78k and tired) shocks, and I'll be looking to upgrade some time soon. We do have loads to choose from with the mk5, it's just a case of doing the research!

Cheers will take a look when I get chance. The economy sports are made to the equivalent spec as VW OE but cheaper so like having a standard damper fitted.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 05:44:12 pm »

Cheers will take a look when I get chance. The economy sports are made to the equivalent spec as VW OE but cheaper so like having a standard damper fitted.
The VWR dampers are different then. They've not been available for too long, but from the feedback so far they sound good. Same thing as a Bilstein B8 really, but a better price.

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 07:33:21 pm »
if comforts what your after i've heard koni dampers are actually comfier than OEM

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 10:25:53 am »
Have you had a chance to check that your bushes arent warn too? they can play a big part in the handling side of things.

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 10:31:30 am »
When I replace mine I am 99% decided on the following set-up...

VWR Sports Dampers
VWR Springs
Superpro Anti Lift Kit

Possibly front and rear uprated ARB's but not decided on that yet.

I want the most OEM set-up but to improve over the stock chassis, Also a subtle drop in height which the VWR Spring offer.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:33:08 am by bonelorry »

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 10:51:01 am »
I haven't looked in checking anything really but I do know the rear bump stop are knackered. They have split in half and detached from the damper cover.

I had a quick look at the VWR dampers last night and could be a possibility as long as they'd work ok with the H&R's already fitted.

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 11:01:27 am »
I had a quick look at the VWR dampers last night and could be a possibility as long as they'd work ok with the H&R's already fitted.

That is the same set-up this chap is using....

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100672.0.html

I am going for VWR springs as I don't want the drop in ride height you get from the Eibachs or H&R's.

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 12:47:13 pm »
i should be getting the vwr springs and dampers fitted on saturday.. i'll definatly write up a review once i've had time to assess them

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 02:58:44 pm »
i should be getting the vwr springs and dampers fitted on saturday.. i'll definatly write up a review once i've had time to assess them

Eagerly awaiting  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D