Make a donation

Author Topic: Inlet valve cleaning  (Read 5910 times)

Offline exodus_ste

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Inlet valve cleaning
« on: September 14, 2016, 11:49:22 am »
A little bit of a request to anyone who has done the manual cleaning of the inlet valves - what parts am i going to need if any?

I dont mean scrapers/brushes etc but gaskets or seals that i will need to replace, or parts to change whilst doing the job.

Im doing an intercooler change at the same time so access will be good, i just want to make sure i have everything ready to go.

Thanks

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 678
Re: Inlet valve cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 11:59:18 am »
Should only need an Injector seal kit (x4) and an intake manifold seal.  Possibly a throttle body seal too, if you remove it.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 04:26:19 pm »
Also the injector tool

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-Tools-18pc-Fsi-Injector-Remover-Puller-Set-VAG-NEW-5536-/252460422930?hash=item3ac7d05712%3Ag%3AXMsAAOSw2zlXhrOL&_trkparms=pageci%253Aec294155-7a8e-11e6-ac9a-74dbd180da38%257Cparentrq%253A2949f3141570a2b0a3a1e5f1fffe8389%257Ciid%253A1

Iv got all the stuff together for doing this I was going to use crushed walnuts in a media blaster that's what the bmw dealers seem to be using on there direct injection engines just scared of making a mess of it

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 04:44:03 pm »
Blimey, all that to remove and reseal the injectors! Yikes.   When I had my injectors replaced, we just pulled the injectors out by hand, stuck the new teflon seals on (by hand) and popped them back in!  Seemed pretty easy?  Well, the Teflon seals were fiddly buggers, but doable without tools.

AKS tuning do walnut blasting, which is probably the option I'll take when the time comes.

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 05:53:16 pm »
A little bit of a request to anyone who has done the manual cleaning of the inlet valves - what parts am i going to need if any?

I dont mean scrapers/brushes etc but gaskets or seals that i will need to replace, or parts to change whilst doing the job.

Im doing an intercooler change at the same time so access will be good, i just want to make sure i have everything ready to go.

Thanks

I did this recently, as already stated, Intake manifold gasket - 06F 129 717 D
                                                         Injector seal kit x 4 - 06D 998 907 (Thats for S3/Ed30)

I did the runner flap delete also, did you consider this?

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 07:18:35 pm »
I'd replace the pcv with the r tech delete one and then you can sit back knowing your valves will never get clogged up in crap ever again.

Not sure what that injector tool is for    :confused: like above the injectors will just pull out by hand.

Oh and a air line is very handy when doing this kind of job if you have one.

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:50:20 pm »
The injector tool is to help you fit the new teflon seals and resize them after you have stretched them onto the injectors

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 10:46:56 am »
I'd replace the pcv with the r tech delete one and then you can sit back knowing your valves will never get clogged up in crap ever again.

I wish that were the case!  They still get carboned up again with a PCV delete.  The only thing that keeps them clean permanently is a petrol wash.

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101197.0.html
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 12:57:40 pm »
I've done a couple of inlet cleans and never removed the injectors. As long as it's not disturbed which luckily was the case both times, just replace the 4 blue seals at the top of the injectors.

As already mentioned though, if you do want to remove the injectors, they pull out easily by hand and seals are swapped with out any problems.

Carbon off was used to break down the carbon. It's pretty harsh stuff but makes an easy job of it! Pointing out the obvious but just make sure you close off both valves by turning over the crank if you use it. Not ideal to get that stuff dripping down to you combustion chamber. Use an old hoover to suck out all the old crap once cleaned.

Instagram: stu_nc88

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 12:59:53 pm »

I wish that were the case!  They still get carboned up again with a PCV delete.  The only thing that keeps them clean permanently is a petrol wash.

R tech one deletes both front and rear pipes from feeding the crap back into the air intake, this is the only REAL pcv delete out there.

Offline exodus_ste

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 02:55:49 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys.

fab5freddy - i will order these bits right away.

Just called rtech to order a PCV delete but they are closed today. Was going to look at the forge kit with catch can but its quite costly!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 03:26:18 pm »

R tech one deletes both front and rear pipes from feeding the crap back into the air intake, this is the only REAL pcv delete out there.

You'll still get carbon build up on the valves from exhaust reversion and oil dripping down the valve stems, but it should take longer to build up without PCV crud adding to it.

The amount of posts I see on the FB group about people fitting PCV deletes and then getting tonnes of blue oil smoke is unreal.  Won't be going down that road myself!

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 04:54:26 pm »
Yeah because all the other so called deletes only delete the front pipe and leave the rear crank breather in place. The only thing passing over the valves is air with the r tech delete. Yeah ok there may still be some oil coming past the valve stem oil seals but that will vary engine to engine and won't be anything like the gunk that the pcv throws into the valve. The r tech delete is around £120 from memory (correct me if I'm wrong) so it's a no brainier to clean valves and fit one of them.

Offline exodus_ste

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 10:48:39 am »
hmmm maybe i'll just go down the route of fitting a new oem PCV. Engine is on 80k nearly so i dont think it will need doing again for a while once its had a good clean.

Are there actually any performance benefits of PCV delete or alike?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 12:12:16 pm »
You get a fresher inlet charge with a PCV bypass.   PCV is basically a mixture of air, exhaust gas and oil vapour.  Nice!  Whether that shows on the dyno as a performance gain remains to be seen, but it'll be a very small gain, if there is one.

Worth noting also a full PCV delete requires dumping crank case gases to atmosphere, which is an MOT fail.