Make a donation

Author Topic: Valeo/Hella xenon look upgrade help/advice  (Read 1374 times)

Offline BigstickytoffeeGTI30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Valeo/Hella xenon look upgrade help/advice
« on: September 05, 2016, 08:14:41 pm »
Hi all!

Just after a bit of advice on hella/valeo xenon look headlights for the ed30 as my original ones are looking slightly clouded. I was wondering if one was better than the other? I am not looking to do a HID/xenon conversion so am keen to know if the projected light from the lamps is as good -or better?- than standard halogen units.

Can anyone provide a link for a good reliable purchase? I see most are bought from Germany? Are there any UK stockists?

Also how easy are they to install?

Thanks for any help!

Regards

Rob  :drinking:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 08:16:13 pm by BigstickytoffeeGTI30 »

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
Re: Valeo/Hella xenon look upgrade help/advice
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 08:16:41 pm »
Xenon projectors with normal h7 bulbs in will look worse than the pov spec halogen lights in terms of output.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 08:20:20 pm »
Even though they look like xenon projectors are they actually the same technically? I would of thought they would be built to fit the halogen bulbs output/performance. My wife's passat highline has 'xenon look' lamps but are halogen bulbs.

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 11:22:58 pm »
Even though they look like xenon projectors are they actually the same technically? I would of thought they would be built to fit the halogen bulbs output/performance. My wife's passat highline has 'xenon look' lamps but are halogen bulbs.

Well I tried normal bulbs in mine when I first got them as I was curious and when driving around they were poor, maybe due to the light not being scattered as much. Once I put in the hids (easy plug and play) it was a different league.

Offline Trav Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 11:29:24 pm »
What hid adapters did you use for the his bulbs?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Offline RedGolfDom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99951.0.html
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 09:01:53 am »
Yeah definitely get hids mate if you get 5k they're still white and look smart  :happy2:

As for which ones to get it went with depo, they're much cheaper and easier to get hold of. They do the same job apparently there are slight differences but I looked for hella for ages and they're impossible to find
Mk5 golf gt 140
Revo stage 1
Air lift Performance 3p

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 07:07:16 pm »
Thanks for the input slix,  good to have first hand experience. So xenon look lights have worse quailty output than normal halogen units. Hmmmm what next......?

Are hid conversions legal? Obviously you need to get them correctly levelled but I thought xenons had to have washer jets? Is it as simple as plug in and play? I thought you required some canbus tweaking?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:10:37 pm by BigstickytoffeeGTI30 »

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 09:01:43 pm »
Thanks for the input slix,  good to have first hand experience. So xenon look lights have worse quailty output than normal halogen units. Hmmmm what next......?

Are hid conversions legal? Obviously you need to get them correctly levelled but I thought xenons had to have washer jets? Is it as simple as plug in and play? I thought you required some canbus tweaking?

Only with normal h7 bulbs in they are pants.

And washer jets are not needed as the mot can't test something that isn't there. I made sure mine were the same level against a wall as the old lights and never had a problem. The cut off point is so sharp too. They are pretty much plug and play as mine were just a few plugs to plug into eachother and then mount the ballasts to something then jobs a good un.

Offline c4pete

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 05:47:57 pm »
I'm thinking about installing something like this - does anyone have experience of the D2S versions?  They seem a little cheaper than the Depo on ebay?