Make a donation

Author Topic: Steering Wheel Options  (Read 5013 times)

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
Steering Wheel Options
« on: September 17, 2016, 05:49:37 pm »
I was wondering what other VW steering wheels were compatible with the MK5? I'd prefer one with red stitching and saw a vid on youtube of someone fitting one from a Scirocco GTS which looked good, but I was wondering what other options are out there?

Thanks.

Offline loudancoe

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Steering Wheel Options
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 09:16:08 pm »
I bought a steering wheel cover, you can choose the material options and stitching options.

It is a bit of a pain to do but once it's finished it's totally worth it. I went for the poor mans alcantara and a red stripe at the top of the wheel with read stitching (they sent me the wrong one to start with but they sent a replacement to. If you wanted the link to it let me know it was about £35 but I'm really happy with the result and it feels great.

Offline Prewy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 09:18:51 pm »
I would be very interested in the link please, looked at one similar before but was a fair bit more expensive. How much sewing experience did you have before fitting?

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 09:20:05 pm »
Most fit, it's whether you can get all the buttons to work if it's a MFSW and what other bits you've got to change. Rocco, mk6 golf, mk7 golf, Jetta, etc

Offline loudancoe

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 09:23:23 pm »
Like I had sewn a few buttons on, when I did the first one they sent, it took me a few hours and I'd say it was a decent job. For the second one I managed to rope my girlfriend into doing it, she makes clothes and stuff so that helped.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Volkswagen-Golf-5-Mk5-GTI-VW-Golf-5-GTI-Wheel-Cover-XuJi-Car-Special-Hand-stitched/1635024155.html

It's simple enough to do and there is a couple of instructional videos on YouTube just a bit time consuming but I think worth the time

Offline Prewy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 09:41:15 pm »
Nice one, thanks for that. The wife's happy to have a go so happy days!

Offline loudancoe

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 09:44:29 pm »
No problemo

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 10:16:00 pm »
Like I had sewn a few buttons on, when I did the first one they sent, it took me a few hours and I'd say it was a decent job. For the second one I managed to rope my girlfriend into doing it, she makes clothes and stuff so that helped.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Volkswagen-Golf-5-Mk5-GTI-VW-Golf-5-GTI-Wheel-Cover-XuJi-Car-Special-Hand-stitched/1635024155.html

It's simple enough to do and there is a couple of instructional videos on YouTube just a bit time consuming but I think worth the time

Sorry, this item is no longer available!

Still, I suppose it depends on how much you value your time, and a good job being done.  You can get really good professional re-trims done for around the £100 mark.

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 11:21:30 am »
I bought a steering wheel cover, you can choose the material options and stitching options.

It is a bit of a pain to do but once it's finished it's totally worth it. I went for the poor mans alcantara and a red stripe at the top of the wheel with read stitching (they sent me the wrong one to start with but they sent a replacement to. If you wanted the link to it let me know it was about £35 but I'm really happy with the result and it feels great.

This looks really good would you mind covering how you installed it and what you had to do if you don't mind ? And any tools involved. Thanks

Offline loudancoe

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 11:43:37 am »
You get a needle/thread/thimble included with the package then all it is is alignment and the stitching pattern which is shown in some instructions. There's also a few YouTube videos of people doing it.

I didn't actually use the double sided tape to fix it in place and I've not had any issues

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 12:28:56 pm »
^I wasn't sold on the steering wheel covers at first but they look pretty good in those vids.

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 07:00:51 pm »
Okay thanks looks a lot easier than a I imagined. I'll be giving this a go

Offline golfmck1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 09:25:00 pm »
I like the look of this for my new car will have to check if my mum could sew this on
Edition 30 num 859