Make a donation

Author Topic: CRASHED THE BEAST :'(  (Read 28241 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: CRASHED THE BEAST :'(
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2016, 07:33:50 pm »
but I've found a few on trader £6500 7000 with same mileage 5door dsg so keeping them on file

If you have found a few at this price (say 3 or more), then make sure to save them as PDF's or whatever (I use cutepdf to save web pages personally, but newer windows versions have a save to pdf included now), and print them out as evidence (if you can get them to print with current date, even better).  That should be enough proof as to what the actual market value of your car is.  Check pistonheads and gumtree too for further evidence. 

With a car like the GTI, Parkers and the like often greatly under-estimates the true market value.  If you can prove that the market value, on a very similar car, is substantially higher, then you should have a decent case.  If you can find them closer to you, rather than national, even better.  Although you might be expected to travel farther for such a particular car, compared to the likes of a 1.6 Focus, which should be able to be picked up anywhere really.

Either way, I doubt you'll have much luck submitting a purchase receipt that's 15 months old and ask for your money back.  But if you find current examples similar to yours, at these sorts of prices, then you have a much stronger case.
This isn't going to work as the claims guy is saying I'll only get the current value??? I'm finding it difficult to plaster into his brain that my car's market value is worth more than he tried to pull one on me over. 4500 to 5k rubbish so he went online and I showed him a 6500k one but he's being funny about that?.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:42:56 pm by r5gtt »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2016, 07:40:13 pm »
Really sorry to hear your bad news mate! You were just getting the car how you wanted it... always the way  :sad1:

Make sure you take plenty of ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory, whiplash injuries can take upto a week to surface!

My 1st Mk5 gti had only 18k dry miles and was still as new when it was written off when a car t-boned me. Car was written off and the insurance tried to low ball me. I fought my corner and provided lots of examples of similar cars at the time. I ended up getting the offer upped... I even made a profit! Which went towards upgrading to my current ED30  :happy2:

Fight your corner pal and look after your health! Let me know if you need any help mate  :happy2:
Cheers much appreciated.  :smiley: I'm taking loads of pain killers atm.
Problem here now is the claims guy said his engineer can only push for thr current market value which looks to be around 6000k ish but I know they're f*ckers for trying to bullsh*t us to keep more of the cash to them selves the selfish barstuards  :fighting2:

They're all saying similar crap and I'm worried ad what to do as insurance will do a sh*te repair and I know there's bigger issues thsn anticipated or can be seen from just a picture on the cosmetic side.

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2016, 07:48:53 pm »
Very sorry to hear of this; bad luck - but glad you're probably not too bad physically? Even better that the family didn't have to go thru it too.

Some really interesting/useful info above fellas - thanks.

However, wrt insurance, in my 30+ yrs of motoring - bend over and grit your teeth, because I'm sorry but...you're going to be shafted!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2016, 08:41:10 pm »
Just go steady with the painkillers by the way mate. Ibuprofen is bad for your guts, and paracetamol is bad for your liver. Pay attention to dosage, especially paracetamol.

Anyway, hopefully you get a result somewhere close to what you're happy with. It's been said loads already but at least it was the car that took the most damage and not you. When you take a step back and look at things it's only metal. It can be replaced.

Another sh*tty cliché to brighten your day: Everything happens for a reason. Or maybe a better way of putting it is that unexpected opportunities often spring up from sh*t situations. Try and turn things to your advantage, if you think there might be a way of doing so.

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2016, 08:49:02 pm »
This isn't going to work as the claims guy is saying I'll only get the current value??? I'm finding it difficult to plaster into his brain that my car's market value is worth more than he tried to pull one on me over. 4500 to 5k rubbish so he went online and I showed him a 6500k one but he's being funny about that?.

It's not the claims guy who decides what the insurance will pay out though.  He can give his opinion on where the market is.  You can prove where it really is, with actual examples of the market.  They have an obligation to put you back to where you were, and if that costs £6k rather than £4.5k, it's on them to prove otherwise.  And at the end of the day, you don't "have" to settle on whatever they offer you.

I've done it before.  Been offered £3k on a written off car, prove the market value for replacement was £5k, get original offer upped substantially.  Sure, you might not get the full £6500, but you should get very close to it if you push it hard enough.  Just remember, you are not dealing with YOUR insurance company here, who CAN play hardball.  It is the third party insurance people, and they are meant to be pleasing YOU as it isn't your policy being claimed on.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2016, 09:29:11 pm »
Very sorry to hear of this; bad luck - but glad you're probably not too bad physically? Even better that the family didn't have to go thru it too.

Some really interesting/useful info above fellas - thanks.

However, wrt insurance, in my 30+ yrs of motoring - bend over and grit your teeth, because I'm sorry but...you're going to be shafted!
Thanks mate I'll be fine  :smiley:
And seriously glad my family weren't in the car thanks again

That's what I'm thinking but going through a claim company so hopefully not too hard  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:37:16 pm by r5gtt »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2016, 09:39:59 pm »

It's not the claims guy who decides what the insurance will pay out though.  He can give his opinion on where the market is.  You can prove where it really is, with actual examples of the market.  They have an obligation to put you back to where you were, and if that costs £6k rather than £4.5k, it's on them to prove otherwise.  And at the end of the day, you don't "have" to settle on whatever they offer you.

I've done it before.  Been offered £3k on a written off car, prove the market value for replacement was £5k, get original offer upped substantially.  Sure, you might not get the full £6500, but you should get very close to it if you push it hard enough.  Just remember, you are not dealing with YOUR insurance company here, who CAN play hardball.  It is the third party insurance people, and they are meant to be pleasing YOU as it isn't your policy being claimed on.
Cheers @xs2man  I'll push for more depending on what they say as I'm mot settling for peanuts as you're right it's the third party who has to keep me happy or thr claim goes through the roof with charges from the solicitors and claims company?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:04:40 pm by r5gtt »

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2016, 10:24:44 pm »
Don't forget as well that they will be very keen for you to agree that you haven't sustained an injury that could potentially cost them big money. Their client was 100% at fault so they are wide open liability wise. Hopefully that fact will encourage them to do their best on the valuation of your vehicle :smiley:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2016, 10:39:36 pm »
Feast your eyes guys  :sad1: both left and right hand side damage as left wing is also pushed over  :scared:

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:55:46 pm by r5gtt »

Offline raz469

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2016, 10:58:19 pm »
Yoo glad your ok dude. Just read this

Offline raz469

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2016, 10:59:08 pm »
Is that your lhs a pillar?

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2016, 11:10:54 pm »
thanks raz469 that's the left hand wing poking out  :surprised: this impact cased some serious damage and I only noticed this bit today. Yes I know it wasn't like that before the accident too. I'm OCD with my car's exterior and alway moan if someone hits it  :signLOL:

Offline TAPPY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,103290.0.html
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2016, 11:43:56 pm »
Glad your ok buddy. Hope you get this sorted soon  :happy2:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2016, 12:05:34 am »
Thanks tappy  :smiley:

Offline Talidan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2016, 12:21:27 am »
Metal can be replaced you can't, hope your staying in  the mk5 world on a lighter note when you get payed out that's a cheap car won't stand you at much less than 1k to put that right !

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk