Make a donation

Author Topic: New Mk5 Owner! (stone chip rust advice?)  (Read 2922 times)

Offline GTInMining

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
New Mk5 Owner! (stone chip rust advice?)
« on: September 25, 2016, 09:14:41 am »
Just got myself my first GTI, really pleased so far. Couple of questions, unfortunately the bonnet is peppered in stone chips, some of which are rusting :( Is it worth trying to remove the rust and use some touch-up paint, or just buy a used bonnet for £50ish? Hopefully taking it down to VW soon to see if they'll do anything about the slight corrosion on the wheel arches as I believe there's a warranty for this. Cheers! James (East Midlands).

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 10:21:22 pm by GTInMining »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: New Mk5 Owner! (stone chip rust advice?)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 03:58:22 pm »
Hi mate, welcome to the forum.

In my opinion it boils down to cost, regarding the bonnet. You'll get what you pay for. Ideally you'd get it resprayed and the paint code taken first with a spectrometer. Otherwise, you might get lucky and find a good bonnet that matches your paint, but I can imagine that might entail a fair bit of 'approximation' if you know what I mean. My bonnet's the same, and it's red... so they show up really obviously. I might just touch them up at some point, then make a decision depending on whether it looks ok or if it still looks crap. I don't think mine are rusting (yet) so I might get away with it.

As for the wings, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting them replaced by VW. There's a big thread somewhere with page after page of info on people's dealings with dealers, from good to bad. I was lucky, and got mine replaced without any hassle. I used the Seat dealer in Hillsborough. If you're anywhere nearby I'd try them. You could ask them how much they'd want for doing the bonnet at the same time, but it won't be cheap. It's maybe an idea to get the wings done first and then tackle the bonnet (or get the bonnet done at the same time if it's not too dear) to make sure it matches the wings. You can get the wings blown into the doors, but again that'll cost. I took a punt and didn't bother with getting them blown in. It turned out to be a good match.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 04:04:50 pm by AJP »

Offline GTInMining

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 04:08:42 pm »
Hi mate, welcome to the forum.

In my opinion it boils down to cost, regarding the bonnet. You'll get what you pay for. Ideally you'd get it resprayed and the paint code taken first with a spectrometer. Otherwise, you might get lucky and find a good bonnet that matches your paint, but I can imagine that might entail a fair bit of 'approximation' if you know what I mean. My bonnet's the same, and it's red... so they show up really obviously. I might just touch them up at some point, then make a decision depending on whether it looks ok or if it still looks crap. I don't think mine are rusting (yet) so I might get away with it.

As for the wings, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting them replaced by VW. There's a big thread somewhere with page after page of info on people's dealings with dealers, from good to bad. I was lucky, and got mine replaced without any hassle. I used the Seat dealer in Hillsborough. If you're anywhere nearby I'd try them. You could ask them how much they'd want for doing the bonnet at the same time, but it won't be cheap. It's maybe an idea to get the wings done first and then tackle the bonnet (or get the bonnet done at the same time if it's not too dear) to make sure it matches the wings. You can get the wings blown into the doors, but again that'll cost. I took a punt and didn't bother with getting them blown in. It turned out to be a good match.

Thanks. I've decided to give the touch up paint a go. Sometime I may replace the bonnet or respray but it'll do for now. Gives me a little project for a sunday afternoon! Will try to get down to ask about the wings. Thanks again

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 09:37:37 pm »
Whereabouts are you from in the sunny East Mids? I'm from Nottingham.

I've recently had my bonnet resprayed from a local bodyshop (very good job), which was also littered with stone chips (I mean hundreds of them). The entire bonnet was covered.

I should have taken before and after pics to be honest....kinda forgot.
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline GTInMining

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 10:15:48 pm »
Whereabouts are you from in the sunny East Mids? I'm from Nottingham.

I've recently had my bonnet resprayed from a local bodyshop (very good job), which was also littered with stone chips (I mean hundreds of them). The entire bonnet was covered.

I should have taken before and after pics to be honest....kinda forgot.

Near Loughborough, I'm up in Notts occasionally so might pass you sometime! Mind me asking how much it cost to respray? Got the primer on the chips today, will be adding the base tomorrow. Still interested in a respray though in case my DIY comes out crap!   :doh: Nothing ventured and that

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 12:36:14 pm »
I used these guys:-

http://www.smartautosystems.co.uk/repair-gallery/

The owner lives on my road and I've seen plenty of his work to vouch for him.

Price wise, I had other bits done too:-

bonnet
wing
door mirrors
front splitter
side skirts

It cost me £400 for the above. I did manage to get some cheaper quotes from elsewhere, but didn't really trust the garages when I went down to visit them.

At least I know this guy has a decent body repair shop / oven and can do the work to a high standard.

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Mercedes CLS 320 V6

Offline GTInMining

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 06:21:03 pm »
Ok thanks, I may send them a message. I'll see how my paint job comes out, but thinking of getting the back bumper painted to match the body anyway.

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 08:29:32 pm »
If you look in their gallery on their website, they've colour-coded a silver mk5 before. You can see before and after pics.

If you contact them, speak to Kes. Tell him Rash with the red Golf from his road recommended you. Hopefully he'll look after you.

Let us know how you get on. 

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Mercedes CLS 320 V6