Make a donation

Author Topic: Trickle Chargers - any Recommendations?  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Trickle Chargers - any Recommendations?
« on: October 12, 2016, 08:54:25 am »
I have an elderly neighbor who is 'babysitting' her daughters car while she is out of the country for a few months. She doesn't drive herself now, so the car is just sitting in the garage, battery going flat, etc. I said that I would do some research on trickle chargers for her - something she can leave on and not worry, if there is such a thing.

I suppose she should move it occasionally too, to prevent flat spots on tyres? Anything else, please?

Thanks

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Trickle Chargers - any Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 12:50:09 pm »
i purchased a smart charger which so far has been very good

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
Re: Trickle Chargers - any Recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 01:54:46 pm »
I have a CTEK, supposed to be the dogs b's...at >£65 it should be, but turned out to not be very durable, lecky at work has since fixed it for me.
When parked outside i use a Maplins solar panel and that has been V good,  also used one on the boat and proved to be weather resistant ok.

Otherwise...
Leave hand brake off, and chock wheels.
Make sure plenty of anti freeze/ anti corrosion additive. Ideally change the oil and brake fluids, but probably too late for that?
Yes - try to Move car a short distance at least every month or so, to avoid flat spotting tyres.

How damp/well ventilated is the garage? Keep it either well vented, or sealed up and dehumidified, perhaps use some of those window crystal things to prevent moulds inside?

I used to leave my car for 4-5 months regularly when working overseas.
The clutch on the TR5/6 was prone to sticking to flywheel, so used to keep it off with a piece of timber on the pedal/seat frame! Dont know if thats  necessary with these cars?