Make a donation

Author Topic: Traction control... on or off?  (Read 23028 times)

Offline Adamt5386

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • black mk5 gti
    • Email
Re: Traction control... on or off?
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2016, 10:41:51 pm »
no traction control and a good set of tyres lol
I'm on MPSS and it's still a struggle! F*cking brilliant in the corners though.

haha I've got pirelli p zero and they stick well. although only running around 240 bhp
Yep, stage 1 was actually ok (around 300lbft). Stage 2 is a bit trickier.
ahh I see. I'm hoping to sort out my stage 2 very soon so I will experience that soon  I'm sure. just need to work out what exhaust downpipe to go with and map!
I went for a full Powervalve with sport cat and it's bloody brilliant. Looks good, sounds insane, and gives big power gains across the rev range, especially after the Stage 2 R-Tech map. Not cheap, but I'm really glad I did it.
I actually emailed r-tech earlier asking about state 2 map info as I've heard nothing but good things. although I hear I could do with s3 intercooler too? I've got a milltek cat back at the moment so with that I need downpipe and would rather sports cat than decat. and of course the diverter valve (won't even start mentioning that as I hear that's a sore subject on these pages) haha then hopefully ready to go!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2016, 08:45:03 am »
The intercooler debate is probably more of a sore point. Some say a big upgrade is essential, some reckon the standard cooler is good for a k04 conversion with 2+ bits. I personally believe it's somewhere in between. I'm on the standard one and apart from on the odd hot day where I probably convince myself otherwise, it seems to be quite consistent. I don't do any track driving, and I don't sit in much traffic.

Maybe if you're on a 2+ map with the turbo maxed out you'll generate a bit more heat. But on Stage 2, and in my circumstances, I'm doing fine.

Just get a revision G dv or GFB DV+. Sorted.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 09:34:11 am »
Yes. Well mine is on the Leon anyway

Mine cuts the power (abruptly) when TC is off and when going round corners, so it still monitors steering angle.  I don't drive like that normally, I was just testing it!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2016, 09:46:41 am »

Mine cuts the power (abruptly) when TC is off and when going round corners, so it still monitors steering angle.  I don't drive like that normally, I was just testing it!
APR shared a coding tweak to defeat the TC completely when off with VCDS but it wasn't accepted by my ABS pump. Not sure if it was just for more recent models of ABS pumps... :sad1:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 11:25:41 am »

APR shared a coding tweak to defeat the TC completely when off with VCDS but it wasn't accepted by my ABS pump. Not sure if it was just for more recent models of ABS pumps... :sad1:

I can't find any definitive information, other than on 09 cars it's not defeatable at all, but on 06-07s you can disconnect the 'accelerometer module' or something!  Some folk say it's under the seat, some say it's under the cover at the passenger side of the dashboard!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Adamt5386

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • black mk5 gti
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2016, 11:43:26 am »
The intercooler debate is probably more of a sore point. Some say a big upgrade is essential, some reckon the standard cooler is good for a k04 conversion with 2+ bits. I personally believe it's somewhere in between. I'm on the standard one and apart from on the odd hot day where I probably convince myself otherwise, it seems to be quite consistent. I don't do any track driving, and I don't sit in much traffic.

Maybe if you're on a 2+ map with the turbo maxed out you'll generate a bit more heat. But on Stage 2, and in my circumstances, I'm doing fine.

Just get a revision G dv or GFB DV+. Sorted.
oh I see haha sorry about that! I thought my standard intercooler would be ok for now to be honest. it's only a weekend car for me and not planning on tracking it anyway soon. GFB DV+ is what I have been looking at anyway so will go for that. heard nothing but good things. only need to decide downpipe for my cat back milltek. decat 100 cell or 200 cell.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2016, 01:03:13 pm »
I think the hardware recommendations on the R-Tech website are 'best case scenario' rather than minimum requirements. Plenty to prioritise before uprating the intercooler if you're in pursuit of power anyway. Fuel pump for a start.

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2016, 03:20:30 pm »
decat, 100 cell or 200 cell.

I had a decat on mine; The sound was glorious! If anything it was a bit too loud and overbearing. But the smell was awful. I couldn't drive with my windows down, so it had to go.

I've a 3in 200Cell sports cat from Magna Flow fitted at the minute and i'm delighted with it!
No fumy smell at all. And hardly any drop in power from the Decat. It even passed the NCT (Irish MOT) emissions test!

Offline Adamt5386

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • black mk5 gti
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2016, 08:20:52 pm »
decat, 100 cell or 200 cell.

I had a decat on mine; The sound was glorious! If anything it was a bit too loud and overbearing. But the smell was awful. I couldn't drive with my windows down, so it had to go.

I've a 3in 200Cell sports cat from Magna Flow fitted at the minute and i'm delighted with it!
No fumy smell at all. And hardly any drop in power from the Decat. It even passed the NCT (Irish MOT) emissions test!
ok that's great I will look into that then. I know decat is the cheaper option but I was just thinking about emissions tbh didn't even think about smell. think 200 cell is the way I would probably go. thanks for all your replies

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2016, 09:57:05 pm »
^^ The magnaflow is cracking value at £100. Total cost including the cat itself and Welding 3in flanges onto it, and fitting it to the car was £200! For the fact that you're getting a clean smelling and emissions compliant car it's a no brainer!!

Here's a video to show...
1) Standard VW cat; which we initially welded 3in flanges onto, but it robbed too much power going from 3in to 2in and...
2) 3in high flow cat which we finally settled on...
3) Decat ... which was nuts, but too hard to live with in the real world...

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:02:04 pm by ducman77 »

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2016, 04:22:30 am »
If considering catless...there's a few vids on my channel with sound bits of my '07 K04. It's catless, 2.5" turbo back, and a single Borla.
https://www.youtube.com/user/zoomdis?feature=mhum
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Adamt5386

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • black mk5 gti
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2016, 11:43:15 am »
^^ The magnaflow is cracking value at £100. Total cost including the cat itself and Welding 3in flanges onto it, and fitting it to the car was £200! For the fact that you're getting a clean smelling and emissions compliant car it's a no brainer!!

1) Standard VW cat; which we initially welded 3in flanges onto, but it robbed too much power going from 3in to 2in and...

oh that's a great price for a cat downpipe! do you know where I can purchase it?? I will have a look through all the videos later. Can't wait to get started on my stage 2!

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2016, 04:29:06 pm »
Car sounds great in the video ROH :happy2:

Did you notice any smelly fumes from the exhaust when you got rid of your cat?

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2016, 07:40:33 pm »

oh that's a great price for a cat downpipe! do you know where I can purchase it?? I will have a look through all the videos later. Can't wait to get started on my stage 2!

Here you go buddy.....

It's only the cat. Your exhaust fabricator would have to weld it into your system. Mine is after the downpipe on the straight section that runs to the back of the car.

Only £70 now....

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-76mm-200-Cell-CPSI-4-Round-Magnaflow-High-Performance-High-Flow-Sports-Cat-/181330219567?nav=SEARCH
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 07:46:02 pm by ducman77 »

Offline Adamt5386

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • black mk5 gti
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2016, 09:50:13 pm »
thats great mate thanks for that. just to clarify (I'm not ththe smartest) would I have to purchase a decat and then get an exhaust fabricator to add the sports cat to it? I don't actually know of any exhaust fabricators near me will have a search around