Make a donation

Author Topic: Rust not covered by warranty  (Read 3641 times)

Offline Markis236

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • If in dout boost it out !
    • Email
  • My Ride: Mk5 golf gti (ko3) mods. Audi s3 8p intercooler,psi tuning 2.5' throttle pipe,updated diverted valve,revo oil catch can
Re: Rust not covered by warranty
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 08:25:32 am »
When I got my wings done they where saying that the gti is 10 year corrosion and 12 year paint imperfection I had to fight and I phoned vw head office and they done it through a GOOD WILL gesture ! But to be honest  there is more rust on my mk5 than my mk2 !!

Offline Shamm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 08:37:09 am »
Yeh on my next day im free ill have to try somewhere else just feel annoyed

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 10:29:48 am »
Got to agree with @99hagued here, it's a case of finding the right dealer. Some play ball, some don't.

I used JCT600 in Hillsborough and they were spot on. No messing around checking service history and I felt like a customer rather than a problem.

From everything I've read about this I'm considering myself lucky that I got it sorted at the first attempt. Don't throw the towel in. Getting the wings done yourself or even going halves with VW is a lot of money.

+1

I dealt with my local dealer (Inchcape Colchester) and got the driver's side wing done straight away + a courtesy car.  2 day turn around. Super impressed with that. Perfect paint match too.

It's actually a good way to check if your car has ever been in a prang too.  The chap went over the front half of my car, inc doors, with his paint depth meter thingy and all was good. Because let's face it, a lot of private / trade sellers are dishonest at the best of times, so it's good for peace of mind.

I think where the 'good will' bit comes into it probably relates to the sills, just behind the front wheel arch.  I think they only get a 3 or 5 year warranty, something to do with what VW call "edge and fold", which is a sneaky way to be selective about what parts of the car they warranty.  And I bet that isn't mentioned to customers buying the car new.  "12 year anti-corrosion warranty".  Hmmmm, not quite.

If I ever buy a car new from VW, I will sit there in the dealership until 30 minutes past closing time reading all the small print  :grin: 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D