Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone used Tarox brake discs?  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Anyone used Tarox brake discs?
« on: September 27, 2016, 10:43:38 am »
Thinking of upgrading my OEM brakes and don't want to go down the s3/r32 route. Thinking of getting some Tarox discs and some Ferodo pads. Any opinions on the discs ?

Offline Ollieeee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Anyone used Tarox brake discs?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 02:57:22 pm »
Not used either but i'm also looking at upgrading on standard calipers, the Mintex M1144 pads seem to get good reviews but I can't seem to find anywhere selling them!

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 03:28:02 pm »
If you are sticking with the 312MM Fronts i would personally go for OEM/Plain Discs either Genuine or Brembo, Ferodo DS2500 Pads and some decent Brake Fluid such as ATE TYP 200 or the likes. If you want you could also replace the Brake Hoses for some Braided Items also.

I am not a fan of anything that is Drilled or Grooved, The C and J Hook Discs you can get are better but for normal road use with the odd spirited drive I would not bother.

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 11:24:46 pm »
If you are sticking with the 312MM Fronts i would personally go for OEM/Plain Discs either Genuine or Brembo, Ferodo DS2500 Pads and some decent Brake Fluid such as ATE TYP 200 or the likes. If you want you could also replace the Brake Hoses for some Braided Items also.

I am not a fan of anything that is Drilled or Grooved, The C and J Hook Discs you can get are better but for normal road use with the odd spirited drive I would not bother.
Sorry if this sounds ignorant but what difference will new brake fluid and braided hoses make ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 03:19:43 pm »

Sorry if this sounds ignorant but what difference will new brake fluid and braided hoses make ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Repeated applications from high speeds create a lot of heat in the Brake Disc/Brake Pad and this transfers into the Brake Fluid which causes it to boil creating a spongy pedal/Brake Fade. Decent Brake Fluid with a higher boiling temperature will take more abuse/repeated applications, Braided hoses firm the feel of the brake pedal as there is less flex/expansion in a braided hose rather than the standard rubber items and do not deteriorate like rubber hoses too.

Some uprated Brake pads may even not perform as well when cold as your standard VW items, However they will be able to operate at a much higher temperature than the VW pads and will still be efficient due to the fricition materials used. This Higher temperature that the uprated pads can operate upto is only as good as the Fluid that is in use!

It depends what type of driving you are going to be doing but if you are putting Performance Brake Discs and Pads on the car then you ideally want a decent Brake Fluid and Braided Hoses too to make the most of your set up.

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 06:32:24 am »
Lucas, it is worth considering how hard you plan to use the brakes before deciding whether to upgrade discs / pads. I recently replaced mine with Mtec c hook / EBC red and can't say the benefits are that noticeable in normal road use.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 679
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 04:51:23 pm »

Agreed.  There isn't much you can do to improve the brakes if sticking with the standard size discs.  Just pads really.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D