Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone changed their DSG oil - DIY  (Read 19369 times)

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
Anyone changed their DSG oil - DIY
« on: November 07, 2016, 08:59:29 pm »
Hi All

Will be changing my DSG oil soon, by use of the top fill method. Anyone know what size clear tube I need to fit the centre of the filter fitting when filling? Any tips on making up the funnel and tube assembly for the top fill method would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 09:19:38 pm by GE90 »

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
Re: Anyone changed their DSG oil - DIY
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 06:22:48 am »
You can get an adapter that screws into the dsg box, you can attach a tube to the adapter and the other end to your fluid bottle.

Theyre around £7 on eBay, here's a link just for example:
http://www.paddockspares.com/atf-adaptor-for-vw-audi-dsg-transmission.html

Jas

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 07:09:04 am »
Thanks Jas.

However, I will be doing the top fill method, so it's really the diameter of the tubing that I'm trying to find out before I start taking things apart.

Thanks again.

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:09:10 pm by bacillus »
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 05:27:30 pm »
Thanks. I completed this earlier today.

Nice and straight forward, and nice to know it's been done properly with the level correctly set.

Anyone else going for the top fill method - I used 10mm internal clear tubing, and put a little tape around the part that entered the filter housing to make up about 1mm! End result perfect!

Cheers

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 06:09:15 pm »
Cheers im thinking about doing mine myself, did you follow any good guides?

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 06:27:33 pm »

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 06:28:54 pm »
Had a look at some videos. I have  VCDS, so nice and straight forward.

Happy to answer any queries.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 08:49:18 pm »
A job well done sir!

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 10:01:41 pm »
I did this before but I never did anything with VCDS :ashamed:

I just measured exactly how much oil came out and lashed an identical amount of fresh stuff back in, changed the filter and off I went :rolleye:

Is that ok or did I mess it up??

That was about 10k Miles ago. Gearbox has been behaving very well. No issues
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:34:03 pm by ducman77 »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 11:36:17 pm »
I did this before but I never did anything with VCDS :ashamed:

I just measured exactly how much oil came out and lashed an identical amount of fresh stuff back in, changed the filter and off I went :rolleye:

Is that ok or did I mess it up??

That was about 10k Miles ago. Gearbox has been behaving very well. No issues
ive seen people fill the oil from the oil filter end so you've done a fab job of replacing the oil mate  :happy2: nothing wrong with they way you did it at all.

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 10:37:41 am »
I've never understood why they suggest it's filled from the bottom.

That's like changing your engine oil and pimping it up through the sump hole.

I'm pretty sure when I took my old audi dsg to audi for a dsg oil change they did it from the top as was oil spilt where the filter goes. Was a right mess and they didn't even wipe it off.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 11:36:52 am »
While I was previously in aeronautical engineering for over 16 years, I am certainly no expert in DSG’s! However, after much research, and having recently completed this myself, the following summary might be useful for others:

There appears to be two methods of refilling, and two methods of determining the correct level.

The gearbox can be refilled by pumping or relying on gravity feed through the bottom drain. This is much quicker, particularly when using a pump (only minutes). The downside is that the official tooling is expensive, and it can be messy.

The top fill relies on a small diameter inlet port, exposed when the filter is removed. While this is slower, I found it very straight forward, and no mess!

As for determining the correct oil level, some simply measure the capacity of oil drained, and refill with the same quantity. Nothing wrong with this, provided the level was correct to begin with, and the temperature of the old and new oil are relatively close. Also need to take into account any oil lost, particularly using the bottom fill method.

I used the VCDS method, which although more time consuming, gave me reassurance that the level was correct. I think this is important, as the oil is not only used for lubrication and cooling, but also for the hydraulics within the mechatronic unit. This method involves overfilling, running the gearbox up to a specific temperature (monitored with VCDS), and then removing the drain plug with the engine running, at which point the oil will drain to the level of the stack pipe.

Concluded with a Basic Adaptions reset using VCDS, the DSG gets a proper treat!

Main dealers seem to be charging less than my local Indy, but I decided to service this myself to avoid the mess (as comment about Audi above), and so that I was certain that the level was correct. It was also interesting to see the condition of the old oil.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 12:03:29 pm »
Thanks a lot GE90 - will definitely give this a go, looks a lot simpler then I first thought. Im going to do the exact same as you have as I have VCDS.

So, DSG filter out, drain oil (presumably a sump plug on the underside of the gearbox?), insert tube into where in the filter came out, fill with new fluid patiently (how do you know you have overfilled it?). Then new filter in, everything back to normal, run engine up to temp, then remove drain plug (where is this) and hopefully you'll see a little drop out.

Why is VCDS needed? Just to see DSG gear box temp? Im going to look at a few more guides before hand but just trying to get the basics understood.

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 12:09:09 pm »
@r5gtt - cheers buddy! You're subframe bushes are looking tops on the other thread :happy2:

@slix - cheek of Audi leaving your motor in a mess  :confused: Not cool. Mate of mine just bought a brand new Q7 from Audi, Edinburgh. £52,000 he spent on it. That's a huge amount of money in anyone's book. He said the whole experience was really deflating :sad1: No tour of the car on collecting. No real celebration of the sale. He really didn't feel like a valued customer. Not great is it :confused:

I used the VCDS method, which although more time consuming, gave me reassurance that the level was correct. I think this is important, as the oil is not only used for lubrication and cooling, but also for the hydraulics within the mechatronic unit. This method involves overfilling, running the gearbox up to a specific temperature (monitored with VCDS), and then removing the drain plug with the engine running, at which point the oil will drain to the level of the stack pipe.

Concluded with a Basic Adaptions reset using VCDS, the DSG gets a proper treat!

Cheers for that GE90. I might go ahead and do that process as it sounds like the proper job! And I have VCDS so it'd be rude not too :smiley: :happy2: