Make a donation

Author Topic: Exhaust and intake without stage 2?  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Exhaust and intake without stage 2?
« on: November 15, 2016, 05:49:16 pm »
Sorry if silly question but would I be ok fitting a Revo intake and bcs tbe without a stage 2/2+ map to my ed30 which is currently  stage 1?

The reason why I ask is because I want to instal the intake and exhaust before I go for the stage 2+ sometime next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Exhaust and intake without stage 2?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 06:06:10 pm »
It'd be ok but not ideal.

With the turbo back you're likely to get an engine light coming up at some point. There's no 'fault' as such, but until the 2/2+ map is on the ECU will be baffled.

Some intakes don't have the best MAF scaling so really need mapping in to keep fuel trims in check. However the Revo intake is apparently one of the most accurate when it comes to MAF scaling, so you shouldn't struggle running it without a map.

Obviously you'll get the benefit of the full power potential of the mods and properly setup AFR etc with a good map when you get round to it, but until then you should be ok.

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 06:10:13 pm »

With the turbo back you're likely to get an engine light coming up at some point. There's no 'fault' as such, but until the 2/2+ map is on the ECU will be baffled.

Some intakes don't have the best MAF scaling so really need mapping in to keep fuel trims in check. However the Revo intake is apparently one of the most accurate when it comes to MAF scaling, so you shouldn't struggle running it without a map.

Obviously you'll get the benefit of the full power potential of the mods and properly setup AFR etc with a good map when you get round to it, but until then you should be ok.
Ok so although I already have stage 1 I may just collect my mods and keep them until I go for stage 2+ next year

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 06:12:38 pm »

Isn't r tech stage 1+ just a stage 1 map but with intake and exhaust system?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 06:19:14 pm »
No, 1+ is like 1 but with an uprated fuel pump. As far as I understand it (with R-Tech at least) the + denotes an uprated pump. So Stage 2 is downpipe with decat/sport cat minimum, 2+ is the same but with a pump, and so on.

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 06:39:31 pm »
No, 1+ is like 1 but with an uprated fuel pump. As far as I understand it (with R-Tech at least) the + denotes an uprated pump. So Stage 2 is downpipe with decat/sport cat minimum, 2+ is the same but with a pump, and so on.
Ok thanks

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 11:03:31 am »
My ED30 was stage 1ed for ages before I put a downpipe and S3 intercooler on.  Standard intake on mine.

Neither made a significant change to performance but I need to get the map tweaked for the reduced back pressure really.    My 'stage 1' map needed the Loba and a clutch, so it already has the fuelling headroom for tweaks. 

Most tuners already delay N75 intervention early in the rev range on K04s to get it spooling, so there won't be much of change 'under the curve' with stage 2.   The difference will be in the meat of boost, 3000-5500rpm, which will need some N75 tweakage for your turbo back.   If you put your exhaust and intake on now, you will probably find the boost ramps up at 3000 too fast for the current N75 map to deal with, and it the ECU will pull it back.  But you will also find that after 50 miles or so, it will adapt and smooth it off.

In any case, fuel is proportional to air mass, so it will self adjust......if your standard pump can keep up.   Personally, to avoid any danger of lean running, I would fit your bits a week or so before the mapping date, then drive it around with moderate throttle to adapt.  Avoid planting your foot right down and you should be OK.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Lucastheone92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 11:25:03 am »
My ED30 was stage 1ed for ages before I put a downpipe and S3 intercooler on.  Standard intake on mine.

Neither made a significant change to performance but I need to get the map tweaked for the reduced back pressure really.    My 'stage 1' map needed the Loba and a clutch, so it already has the fuelling headroom for tweaks. 

Most tuners already delay N75 intervention early in the rev range on K04s to get it spooling, so there won't be much of change 'under the curve' with stage 2.   The difference will be in the meat of boost, 3000-5500rpm, which will need some N75 tweakage for your turbo back.   If you put your exhaust and intake on now, you will probably find the boost ramps up at 3000 too fast for the current N75 map to deal with, and it the ECU will pull it back.  But you will also find that after 50 miles or so, it will adapt and smooth it off.

In any case, fuel is proportional to air mass, so it will self adjust......if your standard pump can keep up.   Personally, to avoid any danger of lean running, I would fit your bits a week or so before the mapping date, then drive it around with moderate throttle to adapt.  Avoid planting your foot right down and you should be OK.
Ok thanks, I just really want some more sound to be honest and can't do 2+ map till next year. May just fit the intake and fit everything else a week or so before the map next year.