Make a donation

Author Topic: Any Outside Tiling Experts, Please?  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Any Outside Tiling Experts, Please?
« on: November 16, 2016, 03:36:16 pm »
We have an outside  terrace that is finished with ceramic tiles, but the border / edging tiles have broken up (frost action over the years). These are black 200 x 100 mm, but I'm having  a heck of a job sourcing some replacements. Anyone have any suggestions, please? I need sufficient to cover just over 6 metres. 100mm depth is the critical dimension, as any length of tile would do.

The tile retailers I've been to say it needs to be porcelain for outside floor tile, and edging / border tiles only come in ceramic.The only ones I have found are 100 x 100 - can you imagine doing 60 of those and getting them level / flat! Matching colour with the side returns is not important.

Also, if I do manage to source any, can I do this narrow strip in the current weather, or should I leave it until the Spring?

Thanks, in advance.

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
Re: Any Outside Tiling Experts, Please?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 04:19:48 pm »
Hope you find the tiles.

I'd recommend leaving until warmer weather.  Low temperatures will not be good for the adhesive, as well as if it rains it could water down the adhesive.

How old are the tiles?  You could try getting hold of realclaimed tiles.