Make a donation

Author Topic: tte420 or lo400 or mdx507 or TurboZentrum EFR6758 or something else??  (Read 19954 times)

Offline Erno

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Last few days I´ve been searching information on upgrade turbos for my mk2 Skoda Octavia vRS, engine code BWA, because the stock turbo blew up. I´m looking for a turbo that I can use with current upgrades (Loba HPFP, Wagner IC, 3 inch DP) but does have potential for much more when I have money for build engine.

Current competetors are:

- The Turbo Engineers TTE420 (http://www.akstuning.co.uk/the-turbo-engineers-tte/212-tte420-k04-hybrid-turbo.html)

- Loba LO400 (http://www.pj-turbo.de/shop/turbotechnik/turbolader/vag-upgrade/loba/394/loba-lo400-ea113-2.0tfsi)

- TurboDynamics MDX507 (http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/shop/mdx507-hybrid-turbocharger-for-vag-20tfsi-265bhp-engines-p-4868.html)

- TurboZentrum EFR6758 (http://www.turbozentrum.de/en/turbos-und-komponenten/turbo-upgrades/audi/efr-6758-vag-2-0-tfsi-turbo-upgrade-with-manifold/a-32000/)

On paper they all look about the same. The EFR6758 seems a bit better than the rest but I couldn´t find any user data on the TurboZentrum package. What would you choose and why?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: tte420 or lo400 or mdx507 or TurboZentrum EFR6758 or something else??
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 05:18:28 pm »
I'd choose what I'd heard most (good) things about. So the TTE. But that doesn't necessarily mean I'm right.

Offline Orc

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 25
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 06:27:43 pm »
TTE480

Offline Erno

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 07:03:51 pm »
TTE480

Good alternative. Sadly it goes ovet my budget.. :sad1:

Offline Orc

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 07:12:25 pm »
If you can stretch you won't be disappointed

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 678
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 11:25:27 am »
- TurboZentrum EFR6758 (http://www.turbozentrum.de/en/turbos-und-komponenten/turbo-upgrades/audi/efr-6758-vag-2-0-tfsi-turbo-upgrade-with-manifold/a-32000/)

On paper they all look about the same. The EFR6758 seems a bit better than the rest but I couldn´t find any user data on the TurboZentrum package. What would you choose and why?

Couple of things to note on that one from their website:-

"PLEASE NOTE:
The installation on vehicle with right-hand-drive will take some modifications.

Important note about exhaust temperatur
In the past some customers didnt taked care about the exhaust temperatur. Even though the stock turbo is going with up to 1050°C in some cases, this is a) not necessary and b) the death for an EFR turbocharger. Please take care at your programming that the exhaust temperatur never exeed 950°C in any case!"

It's good that they point these things out.  Many places wouldn't.  The EGT warning does kind of make the EFR sound a bit less resilient than the other options.

I would go TTE420 personally.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 03:44:49 pm »
I'd love to try out one of the EFR turbos, they're a common type used on the VR6 engines so would love to see how one works on a 2.0 TFSI engine. It's just a case of how much modification one would need for RHD vehicles, but at the price they quote it's good. But for simplest plug-and-play it's the TTE420 all day long.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 12:58:28 pm »
When I had a VR6 turbo, guys using EFRs in the states were seeing a higher rate of failure compared to the tried and test Garretts.  So I stuck with ye ol fashioned GT35R!

Anyway, would the TTE420 be a good option to improve spool and power (from the same PSI) over a standard K04?   I don't want to push for 400+hp because it gets expensive, but wouldn't mind running Stage 2 eddy power but with a better, sturdier turbo that standard and improve spool up.

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 01:43:41 pm »
When I had a VR6 turbo, guys using EFRs in the states were seeing a higher rate of failure compared to the tried and test Garretts.  So I stuck with ye ol fashioned GT35R!

Anyway, would the TTE420 be a good option to improve spool and power (from the same PSI) over a standard K04?   I don't want to push for 400+hp because it gets expensive, but wouldn't mind running Stage 2 eddy power but with a better, sturdier turbo that standard and improve spool up.

I saw Niki post on FB saying that with stage 2 setup and the right fueling additions the TTE420 makes 400 easy.

No doubt that the turbo is superior to most others on the market, maybe because its been tried and tested more than the other hybrids. Shame about the cost though lol

I agree. 400 should be more than enough unless your chasing figures or want an absolute animal.
Has anyone is a stage 2 k04 raced a tte420 to see if the cost is worth the hassle?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 02:34:49 pm »

I saw Niki post on FB saying that with stage 2 setup and the right fueling additions the TTE420 makes 400 easy.

No doubt that the turbo is superior to most others on the market, maybe because its been tried and tested more than the other hybrids. Shame about the cost though lol

I agree. 400 should be more than enough unless your chasing figures or want an absolute animal.
Has anyone is a stage 2 k04 raced a tte420 to see if the cost is worth the hassle?

Good to know, cheers!

I think a replacement KO4 is a grand +VAT from the dealer (I wouldn't entertain s/hand or rebuilt personally), so if going down that route, I'm already £1200 in.  Might as well throw another £600 in and get a much better snail!

I doubt there would be a huge amount of difference between the two when rolling into boost from say, 3rd upwards.   I only say that because I've had a rolling race with a Stage 2+ Eddie (mine's stage 1) and the difference wasn't great.  Talking edging away rather than pulling away.  Then again, unless something stomps off like I've hit the brakes, I always class that as edging away  :grin:

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 02:53:11 pm »

Good to know, cheers!

I think a replacement KO4 is a grand +VAT from the dealer (I wouldn't entertain s/hand or rebuilt personally), so if going down that route, I'm already £1200 in.  Might as well throw another £600 in and get a much better snail!

I doubt there would be a huge amount of difference between the two when rolling into boost from say, 3rd upwards.   I only say that because I've had a rolling race with a Stage 2+ Eddie (mine's stage 1) and the difference wasn't great.  Talking edging away rather than pulling away.  Then again, unless something stomps off like I've hit the brakes, I always class that as edging away  :grin:

I agree, some people seem to confused kicking another cars arse with only just passing them lol

im in a simular situation, I have broken k04 that needs a rebuild. I guess now would be the time to go for a hybrid I suppose but im struggling to justify the cost. i mean 900 or so to rebiuild my broken k04 into a hybrid is pretty much brand new turbo money.

I think just getting the k04 build and fitted + a few gallons of meth and i should be grinning for a while :driver: :driver:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 03:41:02 pm »

Good to know, cheers!

I agree, some people seem to confused kicking another cars arse with only just passing them lol

im in a simular situation, I have broken k04 that needs a rebuild. I guess now would be the time to go for a hybrid I suppose but im struggling to justify the cost. i mean 900 or so to rebiuild my broken k04 into a hybrid is pretty much brand new turbo money.

I think just getting the k04 build and fitted + a few gallons of meth and i should be grinning for a while :driver: :driver:

Yeah I read all the time about X 'spanking' Y, or 'handed him his arse'..... but in reality, it's probably a 3 or 4 car length pull away over 2 miles  :grin:

Where you would see a TT420 properly beat a Stage 2 K04 is from a stand still, and the TTE was DSG and 4WD and the K04 a FWD manual  :smiley:

£900 sounds Beach Buggy Turbo money.... I hear they're pretty good, but it's too early to tell with these new companies.  We know for a fact an OEM K04 can put in at least 100K miles at standard boost, and then it seems (from the facebook group at least) they wear out super quick from there once you Stage 2+ it!!  I guess we don't know how many miles BBTs, TTEs and other reman'd turbos last?  I'm in it for life span personally.  These engines can do 150-200K easily if looked after.  The turbos won't though, so I want to put a proper good one in and forget it.

Lol, reminds of that line from Aliens....."Stop ya grinning and drop ya linen"  :grin:

Offline Orc

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 06:48:10 pm »

I made 462 on the tte420 with all our efforts working with niki!!

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 10:09:20 am »

Good to know, cheers!

Yeah I read all the time about X 'spanking' Y, or 'handed him his arse'..... but in reality, it's probably a 3 or 4 car length pull away over 2 miles  :grin:

Where you would see a TT420 properly beat a Stage 2 K04 is from a stand still, and the TTE was DSG and 4WD and the K04 a FWD manual  :smiley:

£900 sounds Beach Buggy Turbo money.... I hear they're pretty good, but it's too early to tell with these new companies.  We know for a fact an OEM K04 can put in at least 100K miles at standard boost, and then it seems (from the facebook group at least) they wear out super quick from there once you Stage 2+ it!!  I guess we don't know how many miles BBTs, TTEs and other reman'd turbos last?  I'm in it for life span personally.  These engines can do 150-200K easily if looked after.  The turbos won't though, so I want to put a proper good one in and forget it.

Lol, reminds of that line from Aliens....."Stop ya grinning and drop ya linen"  :grin:

Not sure on you guys but I think if you are looking at hybrid turbos running more power than the other(TTE420) then you would need to consider Rods and pistons.

Maybe this is where the other hybrid turbos come into play.

Nobody wants to pay 1800 for a TTE420 and run it and 400bhp and miss out on the extra 40-60bhp because the engine may let go.

@Orc  - 462 is decent figures... makes the tte480 seem pointless lol
How long did Niki take to map your car?

Offline Orc

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 12:37:38 pm »
My TTE480 didn't run 480 though when we were testing and what it maxed out at. The comparison between the 2 turbos were chalk and cheese. Don't get caught up in figures as thats not real time driving. My car was set for purely track so we backed it down to a safe 1.6 bar but generally i ran over 500hp with the 480. Its all down to the spec on your engine, and i can tell you the power in the tfsi engines is in the head work. Im building another development car now so will be almost replicating the head work on this one to the stage 4. Niki being a good mate of mine and souly being a track car i just leave it with him until he finishes it. The 420 took around 3 weeks but i left the 480 with him for around 5-6 weeks but only because i was developing various things along the way. The torque delivery is key and thats what it was built for. So the 420 was backed down to 442 for track and the 480 was down to 470 for track. Both turbos exceeded the figures.