Make a donation

Author Topic: Replaced cam follower - now sounds tappy??  (Read 1770 times)

Offline 1.8T Chap

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Replaced cam follower - now sounds tappy??
« on: November 19, 2016, 06:13:01 pm »
I replaced my cam follower today on 2005 axx engine golf. Took about 40 mins or so to do, I lubed the new cam follower with oil before fitting and tightening everything back up but it just sounds noisier than it did before like a tappy/ticky sound, does it need to wear in a few hundred miles or so? Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 06:56:33 pm by 1.8T Chap »

Offline 1.8T Chap

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Replaced cam follower - now sounds tappy??
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 08:09:22 pm »
It's the banjo bolt type fuel pump - replaced cam follower today but noticed with the new one installed it sounds more tappy. The method i used for replacement was I took out the 15amp fuse on drivers side fuse box to shut off fuel pump then ran car until it shut off meaning the pressure had dropped and I could remove the pipes without fuel squirting everywhere. I removed pump and old cam follower then put some engine oil on new follower before inserting it and torquing down the fuel pump so I got a good seal. I torqued it to 10nm with the 3 bolts. I connected everything back up and replaced the fuse and started car but the new follower sounds tappy more than the old one did. Any ideas? Thanks

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
Re: Replaced cam follower - now sounds tappy??
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 08:58:13 pm »
You have done everything in the correct way so don't worry, wether it's just your paying more attention to the noise now.