Make a donation

Author Topic: Tailgate Adjustment  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
Tailgate Adjustment
« on: December 08, 2016, 09:49:31 am »
Hi. I've just replaced my tailgate on my car and want to adjust it as it sits equal but the gap is a bit wide all round. Can anyone help me as I haven't got a clue. Cheers

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Tailgate Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 03:30:20 pm »
You mean push it forwards towards the bonnet to make the shut line tighter?   There is a tiny bit of adjustment in the hinges, and I mean tiny, and you can also adjuster the bump stops. 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 08:17:15 pm »
You mean push it forwards towards the bonnet to make the shut line tighter?   There is a tiny bit of adjustment in the hinges, and I mean tiny, and you can also adjuster the bump stops.
I had a look at the bump stops but cant work out how to adjust them. Can you give me an idea on how to do it.

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 08:21:49 pm »
I had a look at the bump stops but cant work out how to adjust them. Can you give me an idea on how to do it.

Its probably really simple but I even took one out and tried to move it by putting a spanner on the nut part and the body of the adjuster and turn it but no joy. Sorry for being a thicko;)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 09:34:32 am »
The bumpers have a little hole in the middle of them, into which you insert a 3mm allen key.  Lefty loosey, righty tighty.   Slacken the 3mm allen off, slam the tailgate, then retighten.

My tailgate was pretty bad too.  The bumper wasn't even touching the body on the passenger side.  I played around with the hinges and bumpers and it's pretty good now.   Just needs moving over to the driver's side a couple of mm to get the alignment perfect, but that isn't possible without modifying the hinges.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 10:33:22 am »
The bumpers have a little hole in the middle of them, into which you insert a 3mm allen key.  Lefty loosey, righty tighty.   Slacken the 3mm allen off, slam the tailgate, then retighten.

My tailgate was pretty bad too.  The bumper wasn't even touching the body on the passenger side.  I played around with the hinges and bumpers and it's pretty good now.   Just needs moving over to the driver's side a couple of mm to get the alignment perfect, but that isn't possible without modifying the hinges.
Thanks alot. Its sometimes the simple rhings that are more confusing. Well for me anyway.