Make a donation

Author Topic: Is the oversized ram air induction kit worth the extra?  (Read 14510 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Is the oversized ram air induction kit worth the extra?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 05:39:06 pm »
Nothing is cheap in TFSI tuning land mate!
The cheapest bang for buck on a TFSI is a new diverter valve in place of a split one. Yes, I know, that doesn't count

As for intakes, I've been on the fence for a while but I'm willing to give one a try now I'm pretty much at 2+ with the rest of the hardware. I'm going for a nosey at the Ramair @rashg60 has fitted at some point soon. His car is a similar spec to mine, on the same map, so we'll see.

In all honesty, if it sounds good, doesn't ruin the low rev response, and offers the same or better high rev performance, I'll be happy. That would theoretically bode well for my R-Tech update from 2 to 2+ sometime in the new year.

Offline unzippy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 06:07:48 pm »
Comparing the the two - until someone shows me some proper science (measurements and shit), it's just down to the noise factor.

Look at where either intake ends at the turbo end.  You can have what ever size cone you like, it still goes though the same diameter hole...

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 06:16:23 pm »
Comparing the the two - until someone shows me some proper science (measurements and shit), it's just down to the noise factor.

Look at where either intake ends at the turbo end.  You can have what ever size cone you like, it still goes though the same diameter hole...
You'd think so, they both use the same MAF pipe by the look of it. One thing that's always missing in discussions about intakes is real back to back testing on a dyno. I know you can log the MAF flow rates but something tells me there's a lot more to it.

I'm inclined to think some of the better intakes really come alive in conjunction with certain hardware setups, on the right map. Nailing down any exact numbers on an intake's performance benefit will always be tricky because of the multiple variables involved.

Offline KieranM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 10:16:53 pm »
Definitely go for the oversized one, I also have one for sale  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 10:35:25 pm »
Definitely go for the oversized one, I also have one for sale  :happy2:
Any reason you're getting rid?

Offline unzippy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 09:51:38 am »
It's too big :grin:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 10:14:23 am »

You'd think so, they both use the same MAF pipe by the look of it. One thing that's always missing in discussions about intakes is real back to back testing on a dyno. I know you can log the MAF flow rates but something tells me there's a lot more to it.

I'm inclined to think some of the better intakes really come alive in conjunction with certain hardware setups, on the right map. Nailing down any exact numbers on an intake's performance benefit will always be tricky because of the multiple variables involved.

MAF numbers mean nothing. Intakes vs standard airbox on a K03 have been tested and on a Stage 2/2+ setup make quite a difference at WOT. It has been tested and dyno graphs provided, which I won't be trying to find on my works PC as I cannae see any images  :signLOL:  Unfortunately a dyno doesn't help to measure part throttle mixed driving off boost conditions.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 11:30:45 am »
I've told him I've changed my mind and I'll go oversized or get a revo or something.

Don't change your mind just because of what one or 2 people say  :smiley:

That filter would do the job and is affordable.  Better that than sink £300 into a Revo, which is frankly ludicrous for a bit of drain pipe with a bit of foam on the end (but scene tax eh?), and decide you don't like the noise of an intake.  A lot of people don't, and end up going back to the factory box.  A lot of people also only care about peak hp numbers and not what happens off boost.

I got rid of the revo intake - the noise was too much for my liking.

Keeping an eye out for a deal on a VWR one (going to be a slim chance of that I'm sure) apparently they are quieter..or trying to find someone who has one installed so I can hear what it may sound like. I also prefer the way the VWR looks.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 12:04:08 pm »
Nothing is cheap in TFSI tuning land mate!
The cheapest bang for buck on a TFSI is a new diverter valve in place of a split one. Yes, I know, that doesn't count

As for intakes, I've been on the fence for a while but I'm willing to give one a try now I'm pretty much at 2+ with the rest of the hardware. I'm going for a nosey at the Ramair @rashg60 has fitted at some point soon. His car is a similar spec to mine, on the same map, so we'll see.

In all honesty, if it sounds good, doesn't ruin the low rev response, and offers the same or better high rev performance, I'll be happy. That would theoretically bode well for my R-Tech update from 2 to 2+ sometime in the new year.

Enclosed systems definitely perform better at low revs based on my various experimentations over the years.   Let's take WOT out of the equation for now, because at the end of the day, no filter at all is obviously going to give the best results, but WOT all the time and no filter aren't practical in the real world  :grin:

Off WOT there is a lot of induction tuning going on. Too boring and complicated to get into here.  Needs a thread of it's own! No air filter at all and a bigger exhaust will show improvements at WOT regardless of engine spec, turbo or NA.  But obviously isn't practical!  Affecting one end of the rpm spectrum affects the other, hence why basic drainpipes with a bit of foam on the end do you no favours in the lower rpms, especially with K04 and Big turbo engines.  But nothing is ever sold as giving with one hand and taking away with the other is it?  :smiley:

I like the VWR intake, BMC CDAs and the original Carbonio.  A bit of thought went into them and being enclosed means hot air isn't draw in and keeps noise levels down.  As you say, it would be good to do some dyno comparisons but dyno operators don't do this kind of experimenting.  All they do is mash the pedal down at 2500rpm and start recording the plot from there.  For those who are interested in part throttle tuning, we're left to our butt dynos to determine the difference.

Just depends where you do the majority of your driving.  If you're never below 4000rpm on the track, more flow is your friend and noise isn't a factor either generally.  If you spend more of your time on urban roads with the occasional squirt, you want it to be responsive and quiet off boost.   A classic example of this is the majority of M engines.  Amazing flow at the top end thanks to ITBs and lairy cams, but below 4000rpm, absolutely gutless!!

Rule no.1 of modifying is to know what you want and stick to it. 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline KieranM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 03:57:42 pm »
Any reason you're getting rid?
I was given a Revo intake for free, but after fitting the Revo one there is no noticeable difference between the two. I prefer the look of the Revo one so I'll be selling the Ram Air

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 11:50:23 pm »
Not worth it for attempting to gain noticeable power on stock turbo and just tuned. You'd be fine with just a performance drop-in filter in the oem box whether you are tuned or not. Perhaps when you get a larger turbo or have a K04 in an ED30...it is a must if tuning.

Not true, plenty of gains to be had at the top end even on a baby K03. Drop-in filters simply do not compare with a decent intake

Oversize every time
I think it is mostly true, ↑ what I said up there ↑, with regards to K03 stage 1 and 2 tunes...stage 1 and stage 2 tunes don't change much whether tuned or not just from the intake rather than the oem box with performance filter. Stage 2+(hpfp upgraded) or K04 or larger?, sure...maybe. Again, I said noticeable power....because: I've seen dyno/RR results from when Autobahn tuning was modding a mk5 with GIAC tuning by recording HP...first after the tune is loaded, then after the DP is installed, and finally when the intake is added. Most to nearly all power was added by the tune...then, less than 4 hp increase when the DP was installed along with the tune...and then finally, 1 hp increase with the intake installed along with the DP and tune. Other tuners may have posted varied results from their tunes, but I doubt the power from the intake alone was noticeable. http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/project-car/eurp-0608-2006-gli-2-0t/

I am pretty sure the tune is the largest factor here. I used to beat every other mk5 at VW drag days in the 1/4 mile @ Woodburn, that were tuned by other than GIAC, when I was just at stage 1 with a drop-in filter and tune and they had in addition to their tunes an intake and DP.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:09:55 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline spwd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 16
  • Hello I'm Steve.
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110133.msg1073872.html#new
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 05:21:21 pm »
Well I managed to get a twintake but not got any bolts with it, anyone know what I need?