Make a donation

Author Topic: Did I make a mistake buying another edition 30  (Read 4338 times)

dansmith180

Re: Did I make a mistake buying another edition 30
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 01:03:29 am »
I had a play with a new focus ST on the M4 a couple of months ago. Safe to say he got destroyed, I'm still to race it's big brother as that will be a closer match   :evilgrin:

I think as has been said the MK5 is aimed at being a much more refined and well rounded car so things like type R's and Clio's that are more engaging and driver focused although they're not necessarily as quick can be more fun on your average B road. Better brakes, coilovers, short shift and some exhaust + intake noise just bring these things to life I think. Obviously more power and more complex suspension and gearbox mods make it better but just the above are the best bang for buck.

You're at a good point now before you throw money at it to consider your options and hopefully not regret a decision. Maybe find someone with a more modified car nearby and go for a spin to try and help you make the right choice.

I go back and forth hating and loving mine with the rattles and noises but every time I get on a slip road and turn the TC off I remember what it's all about.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Did I make a mistake buying another edition 30
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 09:36:44 am »
Speaking of suspension, last night was a reminder that mine needs some attention in that area.   Apart from the Whiteline ALK, it's standard.

I was following a current shape Focus ST (with a Mountune badge on it, so not standard) round a corner well known for being slippery.  He flew round it.  Mine understeered and squirmed all over the place.  I don't think it's tyres as all manner of decent rubber does the same thing on that corner, so either the Focus has epic suspension, or one of them 'e diff' type stability control thingies.  Or it might just be 107K old standard dampers  :grin:

I was in the same boat as SurreyED30 because my list of jobs is ever growing, but I've decided to hang onto it and address the shortcomings!

I think the current Focus ST are 4wd arent they so that may be why.

How does the WALK make a difference to standard. Im not suprised you had trouble as the stock suspension can be a bit floaty if you know what I mean. Decent set of coilovers and alignment would make a difference, maybe even lowering springs
They're still fwd rather than awd, but believe me they go round corners rather well. They've got what Ford call 'torque vectoring' whatever that is. And they're 250bhp out of the box.

I had one behind me a few weeks ago, I wasn't exactly pulling away (I'm stage 2 at around 270bhp) and as we approached a familiar bend I fully expected to increase the gap, but if anything he caught up a bit.

Quick cars.

Ah, that'll be why then!  Torque vectoring is a more sophisticated version of a quaife diff.  It can reduce torque on a spinning wheel and send more to the wheel with most grip.  I think they can do it with brakes and / or a special diff.  VAG's 'VAQ' diff in the MK7 Performance Pack does a similar thing.

I thought the MK5 had a diff (brakes spinning wheels) because it has a steering angle sensor and an accelerometer and yaw, or level, sensor for the xenons, so it's already setup for it, but it doesn't.....just traction control by way of ignition / fuel cut.  Booooooo!

Power wise, no issues there vs the Focus, but they are indeed very quick cars......and so understated too.  They just don't float my boat at all though, despite probably being a far better car dynamically than most Golfs!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D