Make a donation

Author Topic: More Coolant Used In Winter?  (Read 3998 times)

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
More Coolant Used In Winter?
« on: December 18, 2016, 08:59:27 pm »
Hi, I've had my GTI for about 6 months now and have just noticed that it seems to be consuming more coolant than usual. It was topped up when I bought it and I noticed about a month ago it was just above the low marker so I topped it up to max. Checked about a week ago and it was about halfway down again so topped it up again to just above max and checked today and it's already gone down to level with the max marker.

Only difference I've been doing to the car is I have been having the heaters on higher and blowers on more due to the cold weather. I've looked in the engine bay and there's no sign of a coolant leak. Could it be the cold weather somehow causing this? Does this amount of coolant consumption sound normal? Thanks.

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
Re: More Coolant Used In Winter?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 10:11:30 pm »
It shouldn't drop that much any time of the year.

I'm most certain you have a leak somewhere. Any signs of water/coolant on the under tray?
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline dronners

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 10:35:20 pm »
a car only loses coolant if its either leaking or being burned by the engine..  neither are good

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 10:44:26 pm »
Never put a drop of Coolant in any of my TFSI engined cars, I am on number 5 now.

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 08:08:40 am »
Thanks for the replies, I had feared it wasn't normal. I'll have a proper look in the next few days and see if I can see a leak.

Offline unzippy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 12:33:47 pm »
Check under the oil filler cap.  If you see mayo/jizz you may have head gasket issues.
Or be a pervert. :wink:

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 12:50:27 pm »
mayo is normal this time of year under the oil cap.... when you see it on the dipstick its time to worry

Mine uses(loses) a bit of water from the non-genuine waterpump I had fitted a while back. It'll be getting changed when I do the cambelt in 2017
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline unzippy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 01:03:16 pm »
It's only normal if you do of short journeys.  It's where the condensation hasn't been cooked out as the engine didn't get hot enough.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 01:23:48 pm »
Due to the extended filler neck design it has a habit of staying longer than most other cars.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 09:19:45 pm »
Thanks for the further suggestions, had a good look round the engine tonight and no obvious signs, some minor crust which could be something half way down on the right hand side, although is white not pink  :confused:  I've put some cardboard underneath the engine tonight and will see if anything shows up in the morning.

It's only normal if you do of short journeys.  It's where the condensation hasn't been cooked out as the engine didn't get hot enough.

To be honest I do A LOT of short journeys due to work (majority are 10 mins max and I only live 15 mins from work) so I'm hoping it could be something as simple as this.

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 10:23:46 pm »
Thanks for the further suggestions, had a good look round the engine tonight and no obvious signs, some minor crust which could be something half way down on the right hand side, although is white not pink  :confused:  I've put some cardboard underneath the engine tonight and will see if anything shows up in the morning.

To be honest I do A LOT of short journeys due to work (majority are 10 mins max and I only live 15 mins from work) so I'm hoping it could be something as simple as this.

Do you have any oil on dipstick?

I do 4 miles to work and never lose coolant but get the mayonnaise over winter which is normal. Losing coolant isn't.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 11:07:44 pm »
Dude check your water pump as this is the time of year they love failing and leaking  :thinking:
I had the same problem some years back and when I finally got the car on the ramp found the water pump below timing belt cover was leaking and I couldn't see it on the floor when parked up.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 07:20:32 am »
My bad guys, i've only just read the OP properly - I only responded to the title and the first reply  :signLOL: :thinking:

The 'mayo' under the dipstick is from condensation, nothing to do with engine coolant and is totally unrelated. If you are losing coolant then you have a leak (or are burning it). The latter normally comes with other symptoms, such as mixing of oil and water one way or t'other, pressure in the header tank, exhaust gas in coolant circuit etc.

You more than likely have a leak. As I said, mine leaks a little but its from the water pump (cheap aftermarket part). Mine has a tell tale drip from the bottom of the engine cover nearest the turbo outlet/discharge pipe. It does seem to be a common thing with the waterpump so worth checking

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 09:05:48 am »
Well I've checked the cardboard and something has leaked overnight. Coolant level seems to have visibly dropped so I guess it's that. It looks like the leak is coming from directly in the middle of the engine (although slightly to the front right) so not sure what it could be, have had a good look in that area from the top of the engine but can't see anything obvious. Dipstick seems fine, small amount of mayo under oil cap.

I was planning on taking it to the garage anyway as I'm having a side airbag fault so I'll ask them to look into this also. Will update thread when I know more  :(

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 09:09:30 am »
Likely suspects if it's the middle of the engine:

1) Main Water pump and coolant is creeping along on the block / sump and dripping down
2) Electric after-run circulation pump (under the alternator)

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D