Make a donation

Author Topic: More Coolant Used In Winter?  (Read 3996 times)

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
Re: More Coolant Used In Winter?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 09:13:22 pm »
Looking through paperwork I don't think the water pump has ever been changed. Car's going in a week Friday, don't you just love anticipating a hefty garage bill this time of year?  :scared:

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 03:43:34 pm »
Check the coolant flange located above the gearbox. I have had two MK5 GTI's and they have all leaked from the flange. Had a new one put in and it's not used a drop of coolant since.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 04:04:27 pm »
Looking through paperwork I don't think the water pump has ever been changed. Car's going in a week Friday, don't you just love anticipating a hefty garage bill this time of year?  :scared:

How many miles on it?  The water pump should be changed with the cambelt, but isn't mandatory unfortunately (for future buyers).

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 08:08:32 pm »

How many miles on it?  The water pump should be changed with the cambelt, but isn't mandatory unfortunately (for future buyers).

68k. Was gonna leave it til about 70k then get in serviced and cambelt + water pump changed (no evidence cambelt was done either). But if the garage says works need doing I might just get it all out the way now while it's in the garage.

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 07:10:48 pm »
So I had this checked out today, the mechanic says he will have to take the engine apart a bit to look properly but he thinks it's the flange at the cylinder housing (???). Will get it looked at properly a week today. £230 to fix this and a replacement wire for side air bag (air bag light's been on for the past month also).

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 08:01:39 pm »
So I had this checked out today, the mechanic says he will have to take the engine apart a bit to look properly but he thinks it's the flange at the cylinder housing (???). Will get it looked at properly a week today. £230 to fix this and a replacement wire for side air bag (air bag light's been on for the past month also).

Yep that's what I thought too. £230 is a bit steep IMO the flange is about £40 and it can be done in 2 hours.

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2016, 01:57:16 pm »
Yep that's what I thought too. £230 is a bit steep IMO the flange is about £40 and it can be done in 2 hours.

The mechanic said to fix the wiring problem alone was nearly £100 parts and labour so another hundred or so to sort the flange didn't see unreasonable. I've always done any work on my previous cars wherever possible, just don't know my way around a TFSI engine yet so just going to take the hit this time I guess.