Make a donation

Author Topic: Bumper claim  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Bumper claim
« on: December 29, 2016, 02:26:55 pm »
My wife tapped into a ladies Tiguan last week. The rear bumper has a tiny amount of damage going from the pics I've been sent from the repair shop (Volkswagen). It has a tiny scrape smaller than fingernail and one of the brackets that holds the bumper on needs replaced According to VW. The lady has taken the car to VW and they have quoted £267. £260 for parts and labour and £7 for the bracket. Personally I find it expensive but it is VW after all.

What's annoying is the lady took it to VW who are one the most expensive garages when the whole job from a good Indy would only be around £150. I've offered to pay her £200 towards the repair but she wants the full amount or wants to go through insurance. Does that leave me many options?

I fully accept it wasn't her fault but taking the car to vw takes the piss a little considering the damage was minute

4ndy

Re: Bumper claim
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 03:15:55 pm »
At least you have a choice.Let her go through insurance. You never know what they will do

Offline Black9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 03:22:12 pm »
The insurance excess is circa £250. Is there a chance they won't pay out? The damage is so minor it's laughable they want £267 to fix it. I'm happy to pay to get it fixed as its only fair but not £267. If I could post pics I would so people get an idea of how minor it is..

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 03:42:15 pm »
Well it's a full bumper respray no matter how small the damage. Just give her the money for it. Not worth the hassle of involving insurance. Just make sure you get a basic agreement drawn up for he to sign to say that once you've paid the money the issue is settled.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 03:53:45 pm by rich83 »

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 04:56:41 pm »
If your wife had hit me i would be getting my car done properly via a VW approved bodyshop, not some independent. £267 seems cheap if it needs paint.
I have past experience in the family of similar on a Mercedes. I could have t cut it out and you would hardly have seen it. The prep and respray of the whole bumper was £800.
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 03:52:01 pm »
Sounds ok to me too. Someone reversed into my M3 a few years back and said that will easily patch up - why would anyone accept anything like  that. Sounds cheap to me - pay up and get some signed agreement to keep outside of insurance. No point in arguing -IMO

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 03:54:22 pm »
If your wife had hit me i would be getting my car done properly via a VW approved bodyshop, not some independent. £267 seems cheap if it needs paint.
I have past experience in the family of similar on a Mercedes. I could have t cut it out and you would hardly have seen it. The prep and respray of the whole bumper was £800.

This ^^^

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 08:19:30 pm »
Tough one this, seems to be it very much depends on which side of the fence you're sitting?

If i was to take my 20 yo cabby to VW dealers when your wife "tapped" it...then that would really be taking the p1ss?

What sort of age/value was the other ladies tiguan?