Make a donation

Author Topic: URGENT HELP PLEASE!  (Read 9502 times)

Offline david_phillips95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
URGENT HELP PLEASE!
« on: January 26, 2010, 07:17:31 pm »
URGENT HELP PLEASE!
Hey guys,

Got my Sachs Performance Clutch kit fitted today and it is causing problems. There is excess movement in the pedal and the clutch is juddering. I had a new LUK Dual Mass Flywheel installed as the garage said there is not a Sachs DMF available for my S3??? When i check Elsawin it has a section on how to identify whether you have a Sachs DMF or LUK DMF so this leads me to believe the garage was wrong.  This is urgent as i need an answer for the garage tommorow. Anyone any running ED30's have any idea?

Can Someone Please Help Me

Cheers Davie

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: URGENT HELP PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 07:21:34 pm »
Regards the DMF i don't know about an S3 but i have a Sachs Clutch & DMF in my Octavia vRS which has the Same 2.0 TFSi as the S3 (less the KO4 turbo and a few other internal bits) so if you have a Non DSG car then they do have one. If you have DSG im not sure.

As for Judder you will get judder in first gear for around the first 800-1000miles iirc (was told this by JKM when i had mine fitted)

As for Pedal movement the pedal should actually be a lot lot stiffer (my Missus always complains especially in Traffic)

HTH

Carl :happy2:

Offline Blade

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
  • Taking a sabatical from cars
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 07:26:19 pm »
I have no judder whatsoever with my Sachs unit. The pedal is firmer and it bites nice and low. Sounds like it could be the DMF - wrong one or poorly fitted i wouldn,t like to guess !!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 07:38:10 pm by Blade »

Offline david_phillips95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 07:33:47 pm »
cheers for the quick replies, posted the same thread on audi-sport 30mins ago and nothing, really appreciate it guys. The guy at the garage commented on the fact the clutch cover was thinner than the OEM one so i think the release bearing is struggling to make up for the extra distance it has to cover. i think when sachs designed this clutch they modeled it on the Sachs OEM one they produce for the later S3's. Mine is an 07 with a LUK clutch and DMF setup. I think if he had sourced the Sachs DMF i wouldnt have any issues but cant be sure.

Davie

Offline Blade

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 07:40:41 pm »
cheers for the quick replies, posted the same thread on audi-sport 30mins ago and nothing, really appreciate it guys. The guy at the garage commented on the fact the clutch cover was thinner than the OEM one so i think the release bearing is struggling to make up for the extra distance it has to cover. i think when sachs designed this clutch they modeled it on the Sachs OEM one they produce for the later S3's. Mine is an 07 with a LUK clutch and DMF setup. I think if he had sourced the Sachs DMF i wouldnt have any issues but cant be sure.

Davie

When you say excess movement what do you mean?.

Offline david_phillips95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:50:54 pm »
there is like an inch of movement in the pedal before it tightens up. Do you run the LUK flywheel with your Performance Sachs Kit?
This guy has similar issues http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?81178-Sachs-Performance-Clutch-Write-Up

cheers Davie
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 07:52:25 pm by david_phillips95 »

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 08:05:07 pm »
I have both the Clutch & Flywheel and i think from what you describe it's not a problem (with regards the movement) the clutch pedal is always going to have to be depressed a certain distance before the is enough tension for it to engage. An inch is not much to be honest and is probably a lot less than the OEM clutch.

Carl :happy2:

Offline Blade

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 08:10:01 pm »
there is like an inch of movement in the pedal before it tightens up. Do you run the LUK flywheel with your Performance Sachs Kit?
This guy has similar issues http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?81178-Sachs-Performance-Clutch-Write-Up

cheers Davie

I have o/e DMF. My clutch movement is maybe just a bit less than o/e now after bedding in for about 1k miles

Offline david_phillips95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 08:13:43 pm »

cheers Davie

I have o/e DMF. My clutch movement is maybe just a bit less than o/e now after bedding in for about 1k miles

Do you know if your flywheel is LUK or Sachs?

Cheers

Offline Blade

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 08:17:07 pm »

cheers Davie

Do you know if your flywheel is LUK or Sachs?

Cheers

Sachs

Offline david_phillips95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 08:27:08 pm »
i think when sachs manufactured the performance kit they did not realise the earlier cars had the LUK setup. if anyone has a sachs DMF number that would be helpful

Cheers

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 08:45:02 pm »
Gti's used luk until my2008 cars. Only luk is listed for my car, don't know if it is a similar story for s3's but I remember reading and article on s3 forums about the uprated clutch being thinner and causing the symptoms you mention

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 08:49:50 pm »
the S3's ran a LUK clutch set-up until 2008 when a Sachs unit was fitted. It sounds like you have the wrong set-up for your car and I've heard of this before, like the clutch slave cylinder is having to extend further until it actually has any purchase on the clutch plate itself. I'm sure the lad in question got in contact with Sachs direct and they sorted him out, I seem to remember it being an Italian guy over on ASN :happy2:

Offline david_phillips95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 10:22:51 pm »
yeah thats correct, im going to contact Sachs tommorow as they have listed this clutch for S3's 56 onwards. Anyone with a LUK flywheel will have issues if they fit the Sachs uprated clutch.

Davie

Offline david_phillips95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 06:31:16 pm »
Today i have been on the phone to various Audi Parts Departments and spoke to Sachs UK and they told me they do not make a DMF for the Audi S3 8P only a Perfromance SMF, i have etka and the DMF part number against an 09 S3 8p is LUK not Sachs! i know this as i have ordered the PN and its LUK. I have searched the internet for days and cannot source a Sachs DMF part number.
I really doubt a Sachs DMF is available for the S3 8P after all this, it seems to be a forum myth as neither Audi or Sachs can provide me with the part. Untill someone can prove otherwise i highly doubt there is a Sachs DMF for an Audi S3 8P.

Mater i am getting judder in first and reverse but no other gears, did your clutch judder eventually go away or is it still present?

Cheers Davie