Make a donation

Author Topic: Failed high level stop light  (Read 540 times)

Offline Tuffy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Failed high level stop light
« on: December 30, 2016, 12:19:18 pm »
Hi all. The high level stop light has stopped working... checked all wires leading into the tail gate and can't see anything broken.
Doing a bit of digging the general consensus seems to be that the rear spoiler has to be removed to replace the stop light.... although I did see on YouTube where someone broke the light out and just replaced it with a new one.... anyone been brave enough to try it this way???  :surprised:

Offline Tuffy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Failed high level stop light
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 12:28:29 pm »
Sorry guys.. should have used the 'search ' button first.. are these just a genuine part? Or do euros do a pattern?

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 02:04:08 pm »
I changed mine a couple of months ago and to confirm you don't need to take out the spoiler to replace the high level brake light (it's a standalone part). I applied masking tape around the old brake light to avoid scratching the spoiler and then proceeded to use a pry tool and screwdriver to pierce through the plastic lens (it does feel a bit daunting stabbing your own car!).

Once the lens are broken you can pry out the plastic base and disconnect the wire. From there you can just swap over to the new part and place it back in (though you may want to test that it works fine first before snapping back in the spoiler!).

Think you can only get this part from the dealer/TPS, don't think there is an aftermarket version for these on top of my head.

Offline Tuffy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 08:38:41 pm »
Thanks for that. Can't believe the price of them now....well I can I guess being a genuine part....£49!!!!!