Make a donation

Author Topic: Swap 3 door for 5?  (Read 4244 times)

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
Re: Swap 3 door for 5?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 04:41:13 pm »
If it was manual i would be tempted.  :smiley:

Does anyone know if the above car is lowered or not ?

.........no it's not mate.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Saint Steve

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 04:44:35 pm »
Good excuse to chop her in for a 5 door Ed30 :wink:

In red again of course :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 04:53:13 pm »
As already said, the Mk5 GTI looks great in both 3 and 5-door versions. Okay, you could argue that the 3-door looks slightly sportier but the fact is that it's being 5-door which really completes the all-rounder capability of the Golf. It's simple things like easier access for unloading when the back seats are down, having a bit more room when you open the door, easier for passengers even if only occasional.

Still, the good thing is that VW have offered us a choice.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 05:56:56 pm »
Tbh theonly time it's any inconvienience at all is when I have to transit my daughter and her pals. They hop in the back then we sit looking at the open passenger door. I could get out and shut it of course or just watch the uncoordinated clueless 9 year old struggle to reach over and pull the door over. Lol.

Yeah if it's a golf next. It'll be 5 doors.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 06:14:59 pm »

Tbh theonly time it's any inconvienience at all is when I have to transit my daughter and her pals. They hop in the back then we sit looking at the open passenger door. I could get out and shut it of course or just watch the uncoordinated clueless 9 year old struggle to reach over and pull the door over. Lol.

Yeah if it's a golf next. It'll be 5 doors.

....I used to have a nice 2-door BMW and when I asked my then 13yo daughter (I'm divorced) what she thought about my choice of new car she immediately asked if there was a 4-door version and pointed out what it had been like with the 2-door BMW. She was absolutely right.

You sound as if you are in exactly the same situation I was and I'm so glad I went for 5-doors.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
    • DA Productions
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 06:26:54 pm »
I'm currently in the interim stage!!  :grin:

Had a 3dr before our 1st child. Convinced Wifey to go for a 4 door. Got a Subaru Impreza Wagon with just under 300 bhp  :grin: Boot kept her happy. 300 horses kept me happy. 4 doors made ALL the difference with a baby.

Then got another Scooby (4 doors) when we had another spawn. (seemed like the right time, plus Wifey had a new toy, so I had to keep up  :wink: = I'm SOOOO dead if she reads this!!! :grin: )

Then when the kids were a bit older, got an Audi S4 Avant. Thought the big boot would be useful with a Labrador that's similar to Clifford, the big red dog.

Now the kids are 10 and 6, they are mobile enough to not require their own doors. Hence my 3dr Golf.

My next one however, eldest spawn will be that little bit older and dignified (she's a fashion victim now!), so 5 dr might be a suitable option.

Then again, it's MY car. Fook em. If they want dignity, they can go out in Wifey's car.  :booty:

DAn  :grin:

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline Mark_eire

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 06:56:46 pm »
I'd keep the 3dr, unless you can get a 5dr with the same spec George, you'll end up constantly saying to yourself I wish I had a sunroof, I wish I had this, wish I had that. I know, I downgraded from that spec to a car with feck all extra's and it was horrible!!!
I solved the problem, I have my '07 3dr Gti and wifey has her '07 1.4 TSI 5dr golf! Although whenever it needs anything to be done to it, I'm told it belong's to us both, so I'll pay for it!! convenient...  :grin:
Solves the problem.....
2010 Audi A6 Avant S-Line
2007 VW Golf GTI

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 08:31:52 pm »
This is probably the first five door i have owned myself and it does make life so much easier  :happy2:

How come you use a picture of a 3 door, 182_blue?

5 door all the way for me, old git with a bad back, 7 year old son , plus going by this thread it should be more sought after & worth more  :evilgrin:

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline Tarmac_Terrorist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 10:32:58 pm »
I'm probably the only one who actually prefers 3 door for practicality and have a 7 and 4 year old.
My company car is a 4 door and as the babies became toddlers, I always found it tricky to lift the child over the high side bolstered child seat without bumping heads (mine & childs).
Also as they become heavier, it's difficult to lift the kids into the car.

By comparison, i've found it much easier to place one foot in the rear footwell of my 3 door GTI and put the kids into the seat without placing awkward strains on my back. For my 7 year old both cars are just as easy to access for her as she does it herself.

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 04:09:50 am »
I'd keep the 3dr, unless you can get a 5dr with the same spec George, you'll end up constantly saying to yourself I wish I had a sunroof, I wish I had this, wish I had that. I know, I downgraded from that spec to a car with feck all extra's and it was horrible!!!
I solved the problem, I have my '07 3dr Gti and wifey has her '07 1.4 TSI 5dr golf! Although whenever it needs anything to be done to it, I'm told it belong's to us both, so I'll pay for it!! convenient...  :grin:
Solves the problem.....

mark, totally get the toys debate. Guess Im spoiled though with mine having the works, cannot imagine going back to poverty spec soo whilst I'd like 5 doors, I'd still ideally want a decent spec. Reckon I could live without sunroof and satnav (at a push), lux is kind of well....meh. The puddle lights and folding mirrors are ok but not anywhere near deal breaking. Must have msfw, highline and winter though. Xenons of course. Wonder if a pistonheads ad would be an idea but guess I know my car now I could just be jumping into somebodies dodgy dsg/ mechatronics nightmare....all owners are not as honourable as the members on here sadly.

Love an ed30 just now but can't find the extra cash needed to bridge the gap :-(

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 09:46:04 am »
I'm probably the only one who actually prefers 3 door for practicality and have a 7 and 4 year old.
My company car is a 4 door and as the babies became toddlers, I always found it tricky to lift the child over the high side bolstered child seat without bumping heads (mine & childs).
Also as they become heavier, it's difficult to lift the kids into the car.

By comparison, i've found it much easier to place one foot in the rear footwell of my 3 door GTI and put the kids into the seat without placing awkward strains on my back. For my 7 year old both cars are just as easy to access for her as she does it herself.
i agree with you completely i think 3 door is best with kids , would nt want recaro buckets if had to use the back seats though :scared: