Make a donation

Author Topic: Those of you with cavity walls - Condensation on house windows in Winter...  (Read 3034 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Guys/Girls,

I'm sure like myself some or many of you will have cavity wall installation in your homes. In the winter/colder months, particularly at the back of the house, we end up with pools of water on the window sills and extremely heavy condensation on the windows when the temperature is below 5 degrees or so outside. It takes literally 4/5 hours of breeze coming in to clear unless you mop it up by hand  :chicken:

Even leaving the windows on the latch doesn't really help - how do you get round it?

Thanks,
Pete.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
We have solid walls and no insulation as the house is old. We get condensation too, have had it for 25 years. Open the window a little will reduce it. Get a karcher window vac to clear it up. The only real solution is a dehumidifier but you'll need several and expensive for the ones that actually work.
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline bradh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
try one of these on the window sill might help work great in cars
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PINGI-Car-Home-Dehumidifier-Large-Dry-Bag-Moisture-Killer-Absorber-Pad-Reusable-/141568927476?hash=item20f62a66f4:g:ShIAAOSwx2dYG35w

re usable too just microwave them to remove water :)

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=hgfbkbovq1kp1pe1g7v9c67kal&/topic,19740.0.html
Dehumidifier?

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
As mentioned above the karcher window vac is great for removing the condensation and your other option would be a dehumidifier maybe also try a humidity gauge to assess the humidity

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
Karcher to clear up any pools of water.

Good dehumidifier works wonders, and of course blows warm dry air back around the house too. You also get free demineralised water for your car too!

In a bigger, older house, a log burner or multifuel stove will work wonders, as they make the house "breath".

We currently are using all 3 methods as all family home for Xmas! No real condensation problems despite solid walls.

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
New windows or new roughcast? Dehumidifiers work well don't half rip the water out but there must be a reason. I ran an Ebac dehumidifier for years and it worked great, litres of water each day. Do you dry your clothes inside, that is the worst for creating condensation.

Cheers, Stevie.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
Dehumidifier - run one for years in my porch, no form of heating in it, was always damp/cold, makes such a difference. Have an eBac came with 5 year warranty that was used once last year before it expired. Had no issue with the customer service from them.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Dehumidifier - run one for years in my porch, no form of heating in it, was always damp/cold, makes such a difference. Have an eBac came with 5 year warranty that was used once last year before it expired. Had no issue with the customer service from them.

Another vote for Ebac - on my third (at least..)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Karcher window vac great for sucking up the condensation - bought a refurb one from karcher for about £25 - I think they come with 12 months warranty now (mine was 6 months at the time). Only deals with the symptoms though - you need a solution to the cause, which is probably down to ventilation - also good point made about drying clothes indoors

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
In context of the above, you maybe interested to hear that my latest Ebac has come with a specific function  button setting for "clothes drying".
Normally it runs in "Smart mode" which works well.
Drying mode speeds the fan up, and perhaps alters the relative humidity setting? It then allows you too choose a 2 or 4 hour drying cycle!

Am trying to experiment a bit to see if this is better than the tumble drier, by better I mean cheaper, and warmer indoors, by blowing dry warm air into the house, as opposed to warm wet air to outdoors...