Make a donation

Author Topic: Help with a horrible vibration  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
Help with a horrible vibration
« on: March 06, 2017, 01:13:59 pm »
Getting  a horrible vibration as soon as I hit hit 40/45 mph it just started today and I've had no other symptoms before this. It is coming from the front left wheel/side of the car(passenger side). I thought it could be a wheel bearing but other threads have said a broken bearing wouldn't cause the whole car to vibrate in this way. Is this true ? Or could the wheels just need balancing ?

Any help would be glady appreciated before I spend any money on parts I don't need.

Thanks

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Help with a horrible vibration
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 01:22:04 pm »
Check the wheel balance first. A wheel bearing would just be noisy at first.

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 01:28:57 pm »
I'll get them balanced this evening or tomorrow morning if I  can I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 01:38:15 pm »
A wheel weight could have fallen off if you've hit some hard bumps recently.   You'd only feel it as a wobble in the steering wheel though, shouldn't shake the whole car.

You can also check if it's a drivetrain issue or a rotating issue by dipping the clutch, if it's a manual.  Not sure if a DSG will let you put it in neutral whilst driving?  Try pressing the brake pedal slightly as well to out rule a warped disc.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline 19TW80

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 01:56:02 pm »
Perhaps worth considering that one of your brake calipers might be sticking, as a result of becoming seized. Good luck finding the cause, and hope you manage to resolve it ASAP.

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 06:12:57 pm »
Well I got it all sorted now thankfully and it only cost me £10. Here's what happened... I was driving down the M6 south this morning in the slow lane and I hit a massive pothole I couldn't avoid as there was somebody on my inside, the last time I had took all the alloys off was to clean all the arches before winter kicked in, so whats happened is I obviously I didn't tighten up the bolts enough on that alloy wheel  :ashamed: and hitting the pothole just loosened them all up, and the knocking was the alloy hitting the hub and shaking the car. It only clicked when the tyre guy was taking off the alloy and told me the locking nut was missing :surprised:

Luckily nothing bad came of it and it cost me next to nothing to get fixed, it's a lesson learnt and I won't be making that mistake again ! 

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 02:08:44 pm »
Well I got it all sorted now thankfully and it only cost me £10. Here's what happened... I was driving down the M6 south this morning in the slow lane and I hit a massive pothole I couldn't avoid as there was somebody on my inside, the last time I had took all the alloys off was to clean all the arches before winter kicked in, so whats happened is I obviously I didn't tighten up the bolts enough on that alloy wheel  :ashamed: and hitting the pothole just loosened them all up, and the knocking was the alloy hitting the hub and shaking the car. It only clicked when the tyre guy was taking off the alloy and told me the locking nut was missing :surprised:

Luckily nothing bad came of it and it cost me next to nothing to get fixed, it's a lesson learnt and I won't be making that mistake again !

That was a near miss!   I've done that myself in the past, and worse  :grin:   This is why there are paint marks all over new engines these days, to sign off on the bolts being torqued.  We're only human and forget sometimes!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 07:12:01 pm »
 Your right we are only human, it's nice to know others make these mistakes to. I don't feel so bad now  :signLOL: