Make a donation

Author Topic: Water leak killed gateway  (Read 4741 times)

Offline CHRIS7

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Water leak killed gateway
« on: January 21, 2017, 05:35:53 pm »
Hi all,

I have just bought my first Golf, after two days a heavy downpour resulted in water in both foot wells, shortly afterwards the car failed to start will multiple warnings. I have just got the car back with a new Gateway, the old one had an August 2016 date.

My question is what should I do?

The windscreen is original, the drains under the scuttle panel appear to work, however the scuttle wasn't properly seated. I do not want to keep ruining gateways leaving me and the kids stranded. I would appreciate any advice on how to fix this.

Alternately should I try to waterproof the gateway module?

Thanks

Offline CHRIS7

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
Re: Water leak killed gateway
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 01:45:25 pm »
Any idea's?

Offline theminty1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:41:24 pm »
Without telling you what to do............... there is is no point in having a car if its not dry inside it will smell steam up the windows etc. You will need to put in some legwork. First you need to lift the carpets as much as you can and get it dried off as best as you can so you have a reference. Also remove as much trim as you can.
With a helper with a hose and you inside work to determine the area of the leak. Remember dont start from the roof putting the water on the possible area. Apply lower down and give time to let it penetrate then work up higher. Some leaks may not be coming from where you think hence the need to dry everything off. Be patient and Good luck!
140 BKD GT TDi  5dr

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 01:38:50 pm »
Your old Gateway is dated 2016?  How old is the car?  Sounds like someone has been in there and replaced it recently.  And if they did so via the panel under the wiper mechanism, that is where I would start your search for the water leak.   The gateway sits right under that panel, and the connector faces upwards, so water can get into it super easy.  There are fuses and relays under there as well.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline CHRIS7

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 06:43:24 pm »
Thanks for the responses, the car is a 2007.

What I don't understand is why are both footwells getting wet, I noticed some water droplets on the far edges on top of the carpet.

If I try to find the leak will I end up killing my own gateway? Should I try to seal it first? Does anyone know if it gets hot and needs to vent?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 11:46:20 am »
It doesn't get hot.  It's just a little plastic box roughly the size of a fag packet with a red plug.

If water is getting in both sides, the only thing I can think of is the bulkhead cover wasn't put back on properly when changing the gateway (driver's side) and also the water guide on the passenger side that deflects water away from the interior fan inlet was also disturbed.  Do you park on a steep drive / hill?
Has your car got a sunroof?

Offline CHRIS7

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 07:47:35 am »

That's a good suggestion, I need to mention the car has no sunroof and was left stationary for two days on a level drive, it rained heavily. Consequently does that mean the water could only get in through the bit between the windscreen and the bulkhead? The bit under the skuttle panel where the wiper motor sits. As previously mention the screen looks original (VW marks and signs of age) and the skuttle was not properly seated.

Would someone be able to send a diagram of where to check?

Offline theminty1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 08:23:24 am »
Be sensible about it. It you know where the gateway is and you know its potentially going to get wet as part of finding the leak protect it first. Water leaks do have a habit of seeping. I had a leak (MK4 golf) as it turned out under the scuttle and there was a puddle in the rear footwell! Get the carpets up and find that leak  :smiley:
140 BKD GT TDi  5dr

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 09:23:46 am »

That's a good suggestion, I need to mention the car has no sunroof and was left stationary for two days on a level drive, it rained heavily. Consequently does that mean the water could only get in through the bit between the windscreen and the bulkhead? The bit under the skuttle panel where the wiper motor sits. As previously mention the screen looks original (VW marks and signs of age) and the skuttle was not properly seated.

Would someone be able to send a diagram of where to check?

Here is a pic of the scuttle access hole (plastic cover panel removed) on my car when I fitted a Polar FIS box.  You have to remove the wiper mechanism to get to it unfortunately, which isn't difficult, but it takes a knack to find the right angle to pull it out!  It's in there very tight.

The standard CAN gateway is the first box without the sticker.  As you can see by the clean patch, that is where the seal on the cover panel sits.  If that seal gets damaged, or not put back on for whatever reason, water could potentially gush in there during a heavy downpour.

The only reason I'm suggesting it's that is because the previous owner changed the gateway, and it's very tricky to get at from inside the car, so it's a likely culprit!

In each corner of the scuttle is a drain hole.  If these are blocked with leaves / debris, water can back up into the scuttle area and flood it.  If the water level rises high enough, it can pour in through the fan inlet (passenger side).  Had that happen to me when parked on a steep drive in heavy rain, car pointing upwards.

I don't think water can pour in through the doors on the MK5 (common on older Golfs) because of the way the doors are constructed, and you've got no roof, so it can only be coming in through the scuttle area.

Offline CHRIS7

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 08:02:41 pm »
That's really helpful thank you.

When the guy from the garage tried to fix it he managed to remove the gateway from under the steering, do you think it would be possible to reach up to the underside of the panel you show and put some sealer on the inner edge?

I don't feel competent enough to take out the wiper motor (I couldn't even get the blades off!)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 08:46:26 pm by CHRIS7 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 05:00:08 pm »
It is possible to get to the gateway from underneath, many have succeeded!  I never did!  I think the GTI's gateway is a in different location now I think of it.  The pic above is from my Edition 30, which I've been told differs to the GTI, but I can't confirm.

You could probably get a bright light to shine under the wiper motor and have a little visual inspection?