Make a donation

Author Topic: What is a decent tyre without going down the eagle f1 pilot sport route  (Read 8348 times)

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
Re: What is a decent tyre without going down the eagle f1 pilot sport route
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2017, 04:39:59 pm »
For all your tyre needs

www.tyrereviews.co.uk

www.tyreleader.co.uk

www.camskill.co.uk

www.mytyres.co.uk

If all else fails: www.google.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2017, 04:43:38 pm »
Are these a good choice?

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134p139455/Pirelli_Tyres_Car_Pirelli_P-Zero_-_225_40_R18_%2892Y%29_XL_%28SC%29_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_1_Noise%3A_68dB

I had those on an old 9N3 Polo GTI and, well, they ruined the car!   Couldn't believe how differently the car felt to drive after replacing the factory Continentals with these!

That said, the MK5 GTI is a different car, so may not have such adverse affects on your car!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2017, 04:48:16 pm »
I paid around 83 quid per corner for some Goodyear Eagle Assymetric 3 from F1 auto centre. Might want to check them out too. they do all major brands at good price fitted

Offline CP-Performance

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2017, 05:00:36 pm »
Another vote here for Michelins

If you're not using the car much they will last a long time and it always gives confidence knowing you have a good tyre underneath you, afterall, that's what's keeping the car on the tarmac.

Another point that I dont think has been mentioned is that having a good quality tyre fitted is a good selling point should you ever want to sell the car, I find if the owner wanted to save on one of the fundamental items on a car, then what else have they been tight with?
Instagram chr1spick
www.cp-performance.co.uk

never.playedgolf

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2017, 09:32:42 pm »
Hi, We have 225 40 17 Avon zv7s on our mk6 gtdiesel (stage1)and 225 40 18 Avon zz5 on golf gti mk5 (stage3).£60-£65each inc .delivery.Over the years we had michelin,pirelli,a few premium brand and some chinese tyres.Out of all the them michelin are best but are expensive next to the avon tyres mentioned above which are very very nearly as good as michelin.......................PS Fulda sport control  are good in wet ,ok in dry.Linglong UHP cheapest but not the worst and compare well with GT Radial!

Offline reflexsilverfox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2017, 10:00:32 pm »
Well I've had the Avons fitted and so far they seem good. Haven't pushed them much as they need to bed in a bit but they hold the damp cold roads pretty well.

Also my PCV has failed so the car is running like a bag of bolts so no heavy right footing till I change that.

Will update again once they're bedded in and have been tested more thoroughly  :driver:

Offline Rawhide

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2017, 11:45:25 pm »
If anyone says Rainsport 3s I will go medieval.... @xjay1337
What does medieval mean :doh:

It means I will get annoyed.  :signLOL:
I'm new here so don't know the background but genuine question what is not to like about Rainsport 3s?

I've had a set on my Clio 182 and they performed really well on the road.   They are also fitted to my ED30 and whilst I'm getting some slip in this ice they are still pretty good to me but I have no frame of reference for this car.

I remember paying  £60 per corner on my 182. 

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2017, 09:41:17 am »
If anyone says Rainsport 3s I will go medieval.... @xjay1337
What does medieval mean :doh:

It means I will get annoyed.  :signLOL:
I'm new here so don't know the background but genuine question what is not to like about Rainsport 3s?

I've had a set on my Clio 182 and they performed really well on the road.   They are also fitted to my ED30 and whilst I'm getting some slip in this ice they are still pretty good to me but I have no frame of reference for this car.

I remember paying  £60 per corner on my 182. 

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Because the sidewalls are too soft for the more 'enthusiastic' drivers among us :)   Big squealings in the summer months!  Seriously chap, try some Pilot Sport 4s and you'll never use a Rainsport again  :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2017, 09:44:13 am »
Another vote here for Michelins

If you're not using the car much they will last a long time and it always gives confidence knowing you have a good tyre underneath you, afterall, that's what's keeping the car on the tarmac.

Another point that I dont think has been mentioned is that having a good quality tyre fitted is a good selling point should you ever want to sell the car, I find if the owner wanted to save on one of the fundamental items on a car, then what else have they been tight with?

Penny pinching and bodging really hacks me off, to the point of probably not buying a used car ever again!  The amount of inexcusable hacks and bodges I've found in every s/hand VW I've owned is unreal!

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2017, 09:49:13 am »
In my last golf which was a tdi I had the rainsport tyres which were really good in the wet, im now on goodyear assymetric 3 on my stage 1 gti and i get lots of wheelspin.  How do the Michelin PS4 compare to goodyears in terms of grip?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2017, 09:53:25 am »
I went from Eagle F1 to Pilot Sport 4s last year and found big improvements in ALL of the key areas.   I really don't like F1s.  I find the steering feel to be vague, tramlining gets bad once half worn and the sidewalls are too soft.  The PS4 easily beats it in the wet, and smashes it completely in the dry.

Thank me later  :smiley:

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2017, 09:54:50 am »
I went from Eagle F1 to Pilot Sport 4s last year and found big improvements in ALL of the key areas.   I really don't like F1s.  I find the steering feel to be vague, tramlining gets bad once half worn and the sidewalls are too soft.  The PS4 easily beats it in the wet, and smashes it completely in the dry.

Cheers buddy, guess that's next on the list :)

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2017, 12:52:18 pm »

Ditto all of this really.

I didn't notice much of a tramlining issue, but I did notice that the grip levels disappeared once the Eagle F1 were about half worn - Couldn't wait to get rid of my last pair. Also found they don't fair as well in the very cold compared to the PS4.

Dry grip of the PS4 is far superior to the Eagle F1s though.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2017, 01:54:40 pm »
Yeah I'm seriously impressed with how well the PS4 performs in sub zero conditions.  I don't think I'll be bothering with winter tyres anymore!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=534tjigqa2sggtkn98fsh1c76e&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2017, 01:57:09 pm »
AD08Rs are "fairly slippery" at the moment.  :signLOL: