Make a donation

Author Topic: Which to buy, that is the question.  (Read 2046 times)

Offline JamieKirk95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Is this your old car?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 04:35:37 pm »
I can't answer your question about knowing who owned them, but my personal opinion would be to stay clear of the first one, I see its a cat C, I think it looks like its had a front end collision and has been repaired on the cheap.

The front bumper is not an edition 30 one.
The headlights look well past it, yes I know you can wetsand them but you get what I mean.
The alloys look to be off a gtd?
Missing centre caps
Rear wiper, are they trying to make it look like a delete or can't be bothered to get that piece.

On the positives the interior doesn't look in a bad state, but there is no way id part some of my money on that.

I like the other two you've put up links to, out of them i'd go for the first grey one you put up, looks in really good condition and the low mileage appeals to me.

The xenons of the second one immediately grab your attention and does look in nice condition, if you look closer in the picture of the rear left alloy, you will see the whitework coming through and slight curbing, the caliper doesn't match and if you look where the rear bumper meets the rear quarter they don't line up correctly, I know they're just little things and its a10 year old car but you want the best you can get.

Good luck to whatever you pick! :happy2:

Jamie
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:44:50 pm by JamieKirk95 »

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 05:34:01 pm »
Agree with Jamie's reply but I'd also say that you're not far off used Ed30 money (albeit one with higher miles) but if you've researched your Mk5's you'll know the advantages in terms of performance of the 30 over a standard GTI. I know its easy for me to bust up your budget but, a well maintained 30 I wouldn't be apprehensive about buying (especially from someone on the forum- you would at least bank on them looking after it a bit more) mine racks up the miles and is still tight as a drum.
Good luck whatever you choose though, they're such great all round cars.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 08:51:18 pm »
I also agree with everything Jamie said. I'd stay well clear of the first one, it looks rough. Both of the grey ones look quite nice but I also spotted the rear bumper alignment problem he mentioned but could still be worth a look. Good luck with your search.

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 09:29:24 am »
Thanks all for the replies.

To be honest I wasn't considering the white Eddy but edited the post after I found it in case it was someones and they said yes it's shagged!

The first grey one (non-xenons) is currently in the lead but chances are it'll get snapped up quick fast at that price!

I have noticed the bumper and caliper on the last one but not the whiteworming so thanks!

As for Eddy over standard GTI, this car is going to be a daily but also a cosmetic project. I.e. it'll have a stage 1 map and maybe a intake but that is, I don't think I'll be pouring lots of money into it as I am about to buy a house so need the money (hence why I am selling my current car and going for something cheaper).

Thanks all for the advice and if I manage to snag the low miler grey one I will feed back with a big smile!

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 01:05:41 pm »
I have narrowed my search down to two GTIs. Hopefully I will be buying one of these two tomorrow.

Personally I prefer grey on the MK5 GTI but wouldn't be disappointed with red as my last GTI was red and I loved it.

Red GTI:
This has barely any spec but a very comprehensive service record and slight lower miles.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201610279183106?logcode=visc&fromSA=true

Grey GTI:
This has FSH and tonnes of spec but with slightly more miles
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702122245849?logcode=visc&fromSA=true

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Which to buy, that is the question.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 01:32:53 pm »
Grey would be my choice - the spec makes it a better car and I prefer the 18" monzas on the grey over the 17s the red has too

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 02:04:49 pm »
I'd go for the grey one out of those two.  Like you I prefer the red colour, but the grey looks pretty good too.

By the looks of it its had new rear calipers, so thats one thing less to worry about!  Also I wouldn't be worried about the difference in mileage between the two, as its not very much.

Looking at latest MOT history of red one:
Sept 16:
Reason(s) for failure
offside front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement front bush (2.4.G.2)
offside rear Shock absorber has a serious fluid leak (2.7.3)
Advisory notice item(s)
nearside Headlamp deteriorated but light output not reduced (1.7.5a)
offside Headlamp deteriorated but light output not reduced (1.7.5a)

MOT for grey one:
Jan 2017:
nearside front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
Offside rear tyre badly worn on inner edge

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 03:12:01 pm »
Thanks for the replies all.

Yes I've seen the MOT history for both but thanks for making the effort to look!

The grey one does attract me more currently. However, the seller said other than a DSG service last year he doesn't have evidence of one being done previously... I know it is supposed to be done every 40k.

Should this be a big put off or just another bartering point?

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 05:35:55 pm »
Think that's up to the individual I suppose some people could look past it others would see it as a issue.

For me personally - it's been done so I wouldn't be too concerned. And if the timing belt has been done that would be a nice bonus too

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 07:39:11 pm »
I guess you are right.

It doesn't bother me knowing it's been done recently but I don't know much about the implications of missing a dsg service :/