Make a donation

Author Topic: A/C - How do you use yours?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
A/C - How do you use yours?
« on: March 02, 2017, 07:00:16 am »
Hi Folks,

Noticed the white fungi/mold stuff growing growing in the insides of the rear windows again. No obvious leaks etc. I figure the dry air from the aircon isn't reaching the back of the car.
I usually have the blower (with A/C on all the time) on the demister setting -ie blowing onto the windscreen. Once the screen is demisted i just turn down the blower to a couple of bars.
It dawned on me the other day that this might not provide optimal air circulation.

Im now getting into the habit of setting the blower to the screen/to the face/footwell once the windscreen has been demisted in the hope of getting the air circulating a bit better.

Im interested to hear how other use their blowers / air con?

Thanks

Rich

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
Re: A/C - How do you use yours?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 10:05:30 am »
I'd get some of that AC anti microbial sanitizer stuff thru your system, pronto!
You really don't want to be breathing all that mold sh*te in. AC systems hygeine is a big HSE deal where I work. Google leigonella etc....
You sure all your carpets are dry?

I tend to use some ac sanitizer stuff from ECP when on offer, its about £5.
No issues with mold etc in mine, and I only run ac when needed, or a weekly maintenance run. Added to that I live in Cornwall- its almost permanently wet here.

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 10:13:07 am »
Sorry, should also have said...

Change your pollen filter too, probably best to remove the old one before attempting to sanitise the system

Buy the dearer activated charcoal type, in fact buy 2 and change it again in no more than 6 months.

I do mine that frequently.  I seem to spend a lot of time in jams on the M6 and its slightly scary how filthy the filter is after 12 months!

Even more important if you are carrying elderly ir youg kids as passengers- they are more vulnerable, as well as often  hacking up all sorts of sh*te in your car too!  :signLOL:

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 03:55:40 pm »
Replace pollen filter under the glove box passenger left side trim and as said use a sanitizer engine running windows up with ac on full in circulation mode

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 07:04:18 pm »
I run with my ac on all the time. It's best to use it regularly to keep the system in good working order, I usually run with it blowing on the windscreen otherwise it tends to mist up in this colder weather.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 10:34:04 pm »
Stupid question how do you use the A/C sanitizer....?  :ashamed:
I'm going to replace the pollen filter next week so maybe I should do the A/C at the same time.
Which santizer is recommended?

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 10:49:55 pm »
I've never used it myself but i believe you put the ac onto re circulation mode, place the canister in the car and the set it off so the ac pulls the spray in through the system sanitising the ducts etc.

willni

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 10:25:52 am »
I've never used it myself but i believe you put the ac onto re circulation mode, place the canister in the car and the set it off so the ac pulls the spray in through the system sanitising the ducts etc.

Yeah pretty much how you do it, have to leave the car going as well for it to go round the entire system.

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 10:50:23 am »
For those following this thread. I popped into TPS to pick up a new Pollen Filter and Air Con Cleaner.

The pollen (charcoal) filter was the more expensive of the two - Part Number : 1K2 819 653 B and was around £10.80 inc VAT with a bit of discount. Incidentally, the filter is made by Mann.
I also picked up a can of Quantum Air Con cleaner - £7.20.

I attacked the fungi with mold and and mildew cleaner and an old toothbrush which came off easy enough.
I removed the old filter which wasnt too bad - just had a few seeds and debris. What was interesting was the part number of the filter. It was JZW 819 653 B which is from VW's Four Plus Range - in essence, their budget range.
Not sure if the budget filter had a detrimental effect on air flow filtering but at least it has a decent filter in now.
The aircon was sanitized with the air con bomb - easy enough to use.

Time on task - 25 mins
Difficulty Level - 3/10 spanners (trickiest part was trying to re-fit the filter the wrong way round...)

Rich
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:58:04 am by richtung »

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 06:32:27 pm »
Sounds like you're sorted richtung!

For others...

ECP about £4 discounted

Normfest Viro One Shot Plus A/C Treatment 100ml
Product Code: NOR2897300100

Normfest Viro is a powerful anti bacterial cleaning agent, which when dispersed travels through your entire AC system cleaning and killing harmful bacteria. Easy To use simply;
Open the packaging
Use provided box to hold can upright
Start Engine, Close all windows and turn OFF the AC - Turn ON the Air Recirculation - Set the fans to full power (on cold temperature)
Press the button on the can to start the dispersal of the gas
Exit vehicle and ensure all doors are closed.
Run on recirc for 10 mins or so.

Dead easy....

Have been using this for years. No issues with mold or musty smell in ac at all.
Plenty of other similar products out there.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 08:11:51 pm »
Never have air conditioning on to be honest

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 07:41:09 am »
Cheers guys, that's the sane filter I've got Rich but I'll get some of the stuff from ECP as TPS us a bit of a drive.

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 09:39:21 am »
Just wanted to follow up.

I checked my wife's CC. The pollen filter was just a regular pollen filter (non charcoal). I cleaned the inside of her windscreen and it was absolutely filthy. Im assuming the dirt is from the blowers?
Anyway, as the baby spends most time in her car, I thought it would be wise to change the filter and cleanse the air con unit also.
I checked on ECP and there appears to be a Mann Frecious Plus Cabin Filter which according to the details is an upgrade on the regular charcoal pollen filter.
There doesn't seem to be an OEM equivalent of the Frecious Filter so will go with ECP.
The product code is 507440579 and is £11.99. If you include the usual ECP discount, it works out cheaper than OEM Charcoal Filter. (Im assuming the filter for the CC is the same as the MK5 Golf).

I'll also grab a can of the Air Con cleaner whilst there.

Hope this helps someone

Rich