Make a donation

Author Topic: Jacking points  (Read 13092 times)

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
Re: Jacking points
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 08:39:34 pm »
I'm doing the DSG this weekend so need all four corners off the ground so the car is level. Currently going through a few options,

- driving rear end up the ramps, then jacking and supporting front on axle stands but may still result in the car being unlevel, plus im not really sure about jacking the front up quite a lot to get the stands in whilst the back is up on the ramps

Favourite so far is to jack the front, put in a piece of 300 x 50 x 250 wood, then do the same around all corners. Then jack a little higher, put another piece in, around all four corners. keep going round doing one wheel and piece of wood at a time so ends up all four wheels on 3x50mm thick bits of wood

I do the wood thing but takes ages though  :laugh: gives me piece of mind though.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 10:02:04 pm »

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 08:54:26 am »
I'm doing the DSG this weekend...
- driving rear end up the ramps, then jacking and supporting front on axle stands but may still result in the car being unlevel, plus im not really sure about jacking the front up quite a lot to get the stands in whilst the back is up...

With the GTi it's quite hard to get the front up the drive up ramps, due to the low splitter. So as to decrease the rise angle, I use proprietary "lead up"  ramp extensions, and bits of scaffold planks.
If lowered probably not possible?
The back is very easy, no clearance issues.

I've been coveting one of those portable scissor jacks for years. There's a thread on here about them!
Betime i get the money for the ramp and the place that's big enough to store and use it, I'll be too old to wriggle underneath the car  :signLOL:

Meanwhile, I almost ordered some ramps with built in bottle jacks, which at £110 are a bit more affordable!
Ebay 252585769997
Vehicle Car Ramp Lift 2 Ton Hydraulic Jack Garage Heavy Duty.
Anyone tried these?

Sorry, i am too much of a techno-tard to find how to get a link pasted in from my android tablet view of TheBay!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 09:04:29 am by grey golfster »