Make a donation

Author Topic: Coilovers fitted, what happens when height is changed?  (Read 1416 times)

Offline wrlcs

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Coilovers fitted, what happens when height is changed?
« on: March 06, 2017, 06:59:12 pm »
I have had eibach pro street s coilovers fitted and am very happy.  However, they are a bit too low to clear some speed humps that I can't avoid.   Despite reading a lot about coilovers I can't figure out if lowering or raising the height changes I.e spring compression or piston travel range.  I don't want to have any firmer ride and I assume that raising is less likely to do that than lowering.   What does change on a threaded body coilovers as ride height changes? Finally I still have standard drop links which doesn't seem sensible and must cause some strain. Any comments?

Thanks, Brendan

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=m2ik2ubrrk3nilr5mk6tv542d9&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Coilovers fitted, what happens when height is changed?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 08:04:00 pm »
It shouldn't make much difference to the ride, but it could throw out your alignment.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 02:43:31 pm »
With all the coilovers I've used, the ride gets stiffer the more you increase the ride height because the spring perches increase the preload on the main spring.   A few coilover makers (Ohlins being one of them) change the way the ride height adjustment works so that doesn't happen.   

And it goes without saying, damper piston travel is directly proportional to ride height.  The lower you are, the less travel you have and the more time the car spends bouncing off the bump stops.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline wrlcs

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 06:42:11 pm »
I'll get the garage to increase the height and see how it goes in terms of ride.  I find the jiggle on non perfect surfaces a bit off putting but don't mind the firmness over pit holes.

Brendan

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 09:36:02 am »
The standard car is jiggly and unsettled too, so not sure you will ever get rid of that to be honest.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D