Make a donation

Author Topic: Carbon clean  (Read 6241 times)

Offline Chrisl85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Carbon clean
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 12:37:15 pm »
getting mine done on saturday from elite carbon clean seen an advert on facebook 2 cars for £99... will let you know the outcome
Ok thanks mate you got the same problem? ?

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 01:11:14 pm »
If you look at page 17 of the PDF you will see how little the flaps are actually used.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_337.pdf

Anything more than idle or cruising and they are open/non-functional and nothing but a restriction.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 679
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2017, 01:55:16 pm »
Interesting.  They work over a wider rpm range than I thought.  Niki said he's seen them open / close at various loads and rpms.

Not much of a restriction though, in comparison to the other restrictions dotted around the engine.  Intercooler, turbo scroll, port divider plates, etc etc.  Niki said the flaps cause no 'restriction' issues unless pushing be 380hp.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 11:21:48 am »
Wonder if they've ever done a before and after dyno run?

Cleaned valves won't give you any more peak hp.  At best you can expect slightly better cold starting and perhaps a slight improvement in off boost responsiveness.

Carboned up valves remind me of skidded pants.  Not pleasant to the eye and whilst the skids don't affect anything, you just know they are there and want them gone.
I think runner flap delete may even cause slightly lumpy cold start/idle. So I'm told by a reliable source with firsthand experience.
If everything is kept clean I personally don't think it's necessary, just my opinion of course.  :laugh:

That does seem to be the word on the street!  I can understand why.  Loads of fuel being chucked in so the atomization is poor, so the flaps do the 'crimping the end of a garden hose' thing to accelerate the air to introduce swirl.  Neat trick.
They also work when hot to improve low end torque, so that probably suffers too, especially on laggy KO4 engines.
I was going to say that  :laugh: :rolleye:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 12:23:12 pm »
Seen on another thread someone who had their S5 carbon cleaned
Whilst strapped on a dyno, with a before and after run
Without being moved the whole time

There was an increase of around 20bhp with a print out

If that's the S5 that was "engine carbon cleaned" at Surrey rolling road, that'll be the "Italian tuning" effect of revving the car and getting the upstream parts of the exhaust nice and hot during the process that resulted in the extra power. There is no cleaning going on at the inlet valves.

Please have a look at my vid, and read the comments:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 04:26:52 pm »
Seen on another thread someone who had their S5 carbon cleaned
Whilst strapped on a dyno, with a before and after run
Without being moved the whole time

There was an increase of around 20bhp with a print out

If that's the S5 that was "engine carbon cleaned" at Surrey rolling road, that'll be the "Italian tuning" effect of revving the car and getting the upstream parts of the exhaust nice and hot during the process that resulted in the extra power. There is no cleaning going on at the inlet valves.

Please have a look at my vid, and read the comments:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's something I read somewhere, probably in the handbook, that strongly suggests that regularly driving at a higher rpm to build cylinder temps up and EGT's is a good thing to for the TFSI engines. You can use these cars without abusing them, treating them too conservatively isn't good for them.

The inlet system will always be flawed but add into the mix short journeys, an engine oil that might not be as good as it could be, cheap/low octane fuel, driven to mildly and extended servicing the outlook will be much worse I'm sure.

Gone but not forgotten :-)