Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyres for Edition 30  (Read 5581 times)

Offline Steveo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
Tyres for Edition 30
« on: March 18, 2017, 12:19:09 am »
Hi all,
I've found a couple of threads on Edition 30 tyres but they are a few years old now.
It’s time to replace all 4 tyres and was originally looking at Pilot sports but have been told to research Rainsport’s. I have experienced most of the premium brand tyres across various cars but would appreciate some advice from those who have experience with the current tyre market on the Edition 30 set up.

Cheers all  :smiley:

Offline leebes

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
  • When's the next track day?
  • My Ride: 2007 Mk5 Gti (Reflex Silver)
Re: Tyres for Edition 30
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 07:01:16 am »
Continental Conti Sport 5's get my vote. Been running them for a while now, really low on the road noise front, excellent grip and feedback in the wet or dry and surprisingly good on the track. A lot of people on last Wednesdays trackday couldnt believe the grip i was getting from what are considered standard road tyres.

This is on a modded mk5 Gti, not an edition 30.

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 07:38:43 am »
Pilot Sport 4. Worlds apart from the Uniroyals and are one of the very best all round tyres on the market.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Steveo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 08:03:44 am »
Cheers guys.

Leebes, I had Conti 3's on the front and wasn't that impressed. However, as they had been on the rear from my purchase of the car they weren't in the best condition so was a pretty unfair conclusion. Good to hear that you rate them though as I always rated them before.

Dan, that was always my view but needed the experience of someone who has used them on the Golf.

Offline leebes

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 08:25:42 am »
Cheers guys.

Leebes, I had Conti 3's on the front and wasn't that impressed. However, as they had been on the rear from my purchase of the car they weren't in the best condition so was a pretty unfair conclusion. Good to hear that you rate them though as I always rated them before.

Dan, that was always my view but needed the experience of someone who has used them on the Golf.

Yeah I dont think the 3's were half as good as the 5's, which were voted one of the best tyres of 2015. Can be hard to compare, I recently bought a set of wheels with Toyo T1Rs on them, virtually brand new. A lot of people rate these tyres, but I think they are awlful. Dry grip is very poor and wet grip is pure danger on a powerful front wheel drive car. Saying that, according to the sidewall they were manufactured in 2009, so have clearly been sat around for a long time and we all now rubber doesnt like that.

Offline Steveo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 03:15:57 pm »
And there is the challenge they face; our powerful front wheel drive cars  :grin: I'm not planning on driving it much in the wet but certainly need something which will be able to cope.
Cheers for the heads up on the 5's though, I haven't used them and a friend was a little unsure whether they were actually any better.

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 04:05:22 pm »
Michelin PS4's, Fantastic Tyres.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 04:21:57 pm »
I've done 3 track days with my Continental SC5. They need to be replaced soon now. They're good enough for road use but a semi-slick grips much better for what I've seen on track.

The Michelin PS4 were better on car magazines tests and people who bought them also love the tyres. Should be my next bet, if I don't go for the MPSS. I have a different set of wheels for track use with Federal 595 RS-R that I hope I can test in less than a month. :smiley:

Offline MikeBee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 06:16:56 pm »
Best tyres I've ever had are Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Very pricey though.

Can't go wrong with PS4 of CS5s though.

Offline leebes

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 07:39:24 pm »
I've done 3 track days with my Continental SC5. They need to be replaced soon now. They're good enough for road use but a semi-slick grips much better for what I've seen on track.

Yep, pretty obvious a semi-slick would be much better on track than the Conti's. I've also been running Nankang NS2-R'S on trackdays and they are 'seconds a lap' better than the Conti's, but for a road tyre which goes well on a track the Conti's are pretty decent.

Offline Steveo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 08:19:05 pm »
Top stuff guys, cheers. I was originally between these two tyres anyway and you've all conformed that I was on the right lines. The super sports would be great, but not sure the budget will go that far atm.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 09:04:12 pm »
Black circles was cheapest for 17" PS4s when I looked a couple of days ago, £97 fitted I think.

Offline abz132

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 01:52:51 am »
Hi guys. It seems the PS4's sre the go too tyres but what would the next best tyre with a smaller budget. Around the £70-£80 mark? Thanks

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 09:47:57 am »
Hi guys. It seems the PS4's sre the go too tyres but what would the next best tyre with a smaller budget. Around the £70-£80 mark? Thanks
How much does a Continental SC 5 cost where you live?

Offline leebes

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 10:31:00 am »
Tyreleader have got Conti SC5 225/45/17  for £74.20 at the min...obviously you'll need to get those fitted though