Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Dadetailing

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« on: April 19, 2017, 10:18:30 am »
Hi all,

I have just joined the forum as I am in the market for a mk5 golf gti. This would be my first car from the vag group, having owned over 13 different performance Vauxhalls and few performance Japanese cars over the years.

I have had a read through various forums and have an understanding of some of the faults associated with the mk5 gti. What surprises me at the moment is the apparent lack of enthusiastic owned vehicles  that are on the market. A lot of the cars I have enquiried about seem to have patchy history or owned by people who are bamboozled when questioned about diverter valves, pcv valves and many owners don't t realise that the engine has a chain as well as as a cambelt.

Ideally I am looking for a red or black example with manual gearbox and cloth interior.  Also does anybody have any images of a factory fit sat nav unit. Some of the cars I have looked at according to the owners have factory fitted items but I suspect these to be cheap eBay clones.

One particular car i am interested in has a stage one remap by shark performance in Mansfield, the owner tells me that this remap is for fuel economy purposes only and has not increased the bhp. I come from a background of tuning having just sold a remapped Vectra Vxr, and i am not aware of an economy only remap. I have made an enquiry with the tuner and just waiting to hear back.

Thanks

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:26:41 am by Dadetailing »

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 11:11:03 am »
Original factory fit unit was an RNSMFD2.

New upgrades done would be for an RNS510. You should be able to tell a clone pretty handy by it's operating system.

Maps can be done for fuel efficiency although never in my life have I seen it done to a GTI. Who would do that? Sounds fishy!

Offline Dadetailing

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 11:23:17 am »
Original factory fit unit was an RNSMFD2.

New upgrades done would be for an RNS510. You should be able to tell a clone pretty handy by it's operating system.

Maps can be done for fuel efficiency although never in my life have I seen it done to a GTI. Who would do that? Sounds fishy!

my thoughts exactly, I have emailed shark performance to ask them.

Are these Mk5 golfs generally owned by enthausiasts or are they now falling into hands of people who just want a cheapish hot hatch to hoon around in? I am looking at spending around the £5k mark, like I said, 3 or 5 door, cloth, manual and as much history as possible, also mileage ideally under 95k
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:28:25 am by Dadetailing »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 12:13:40 pm »
Shark aren't cowboys. Ben and his maps are decent.

They should have a record of doing the map, so see what they say.

These cars are indeed getting cheaper, and dare I say it, attracting the wrong crowd. However, if you have a budget of 5k, you shouldn't have too much problem drawing a line between the loved cars and the abused cars.

Offline Dadetailing

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 01:21:07 pm »
Shark have been in touch and confirmed that they do not offer an economy map and this particular vehicle has a stage one remap with power up to 240bhp. This initally does not put me off the car but makes me wonder how much knowledge the owner has of this car.

I have just missed out on a nice clean looking example being sold at REV IT UP UK

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 10:29:02 pm »
Shark have been in touch and confirmed that they do not offer an economy map and this particular vehicle has a stage one remap with power up to 240bhp. This initally does not put me off the car but makes me wonder how much knowledge the owner has of this car.

I have just missed out on a nice clean looking example being sold at REV IT UP UK
It sounds to me like the owner is wary of giving the impression the car's been driven hard. Make of that what you will.

Revitup.. That name rings a bell. Not sure why.

Don't get in a rush to buy.

Offline Dadetailing

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 09:19:32 am »
I think that's the exact reason he told me, so for me not to think that it's bounced off the rev limiter once or twice.

Is the ed30 worth the extra £2-3k over the gti?????

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 02:23:38 pm »
I think that's the exact reason he told me, so for me not to think that it's bounced off the rev limiter once or twice.

Is the ed30 worth the extra £2-3k over the gti?????
It depends if you fancy upwards of 350bhp in the future, or if 280bhp is enough...

The big difference between the ed30 and standard GTI is the turbo. K04 and K03 respectively.

The ed30 does come with a few nice touches like the rear lights, interior, and the fact it's a limited edition makes it more desirable.

My advice; if you can stretch to an ed30, do it. In a few years they will be much easier to sell than a normal GTI. And if you get that tuning itch, the bigger turbo gives them loads more potential.