Make a donation

Author Topic: Bilstein B8 Dampers - Which springs?  (Read 1637 times)

Offline leebes

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
  • When's the next track day?
  • My Ride: 2007 Mk5 Gti (Reflex Silver)
Bilstein B8 Dampers - Which springs?
« on: April 28, 2017, 06:18:52 pm »
So, I've just bought an ex-display brand new Bilstein B8 damper and spring kit for an absolute steal. Wasn't actually looking for any new suspension, but couldn't resist at the price.

Now the dilemma...they come with the Bilstein/Eibach springs or I have my H&Rs which I'm currently running on standard dampers, they are about a year old.

So, do I fit the springs which come with the dampers or stick my H&Rs on them...thoughts anyone on which will be best and/or hardness of the deferring springs?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: Bilstein B8 Dampers - Which springs?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 06:24:14 pm »
If it's a kit, I reckon it will work best with the supplied springs, but will probably also work well with your existing H&Rs.   Eibach seem to be a bit more on the comfier side than H&Rs.   VWR springs are Eibach apparently and they are unbelievably compliant!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline leebes

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
  • When's the next track day?
  • My Ride: 2007 Mk5 Gti (Reflex Silver)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 06:39:16 pm »
Interesting that VWR springs are actually Eibach...as I thought that was the case with Bilstein as well, they are just sprayed light blue and stamped with a Bilstein badge

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 07:27:15 pm »
I have a friend who recently fitted B8 with H&R springs and I liked the ride quality. I have Koni Sport with H&R springs but also more PU bushes and H&R ARBs, so mine is actually a bit stiffer than his.