Make a donation

Author Topic: Been a chump and started the car with passenger airbag disconnected - reset faul  (Read 2040 times)

Offline ReflexRob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Ok I just took my glovebox out to try and find a rattle and started the car before putting it back together. I now get an airbag fault.

I'm at work and have a VCDS cable at home - can this be reset with the VCDS?

Thanks

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
So long as it's now put back together correctly, a simple clearing of the airbag fault codes with VCDS will do the job
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline ReflexRob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Cheers Dan - just needed to know as i'm annoyed at myself for not turning it off!

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Easily done, only takes ignition on to cause it  :signLOL:
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
I hit my connection with the hoover a while back and triggered the airbag light  :rolleye:

That was before I invested in VCDS and I had to pay €50 to have VW turn it off.

Offline ReflexRob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
The hoover thing is very unlucky!

I was in a hurry doing a bit of lunchtime investigation into the most annoying rattle. I fully expect the rattle not to be cured too - I couldn't find anything around the glovebox area (although I found 1 very loose screw). I reckon it is the door release wire drumming on the door card.....

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Annoying how sensitive they are, like a fart registering on the Richter scale.   I got the ABS fault light from disconnecting/reconnecting the light next to the hazard switch, but a hard whack of said panel fixed that.  Same with the passenger seat.  Whacked the yellow connector a few times, out goes the light.

Am I right in thinking if the ABS light is on, NONE of the bags will deploy in an accident?  Or just the bag it thinks is dodgy won't deploy?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
The hoover thing is very unlucky!

I was in a hurry doing a bit of lunchtime investigation into the most annoying rattle. I fully expect the rattle not to be cured too - I couldn't find anything around the glovebox area (although I found 1 very loose screw). I reckon it is the door release wire drumming on the door card.....

Fixing rattles in your lunch break......now that is dedication / obsession!  I'm slowly working through my rattle list.  Nearly every single one of them caused by ex owners so far.

Offline ReflexRob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Yeah I like messing with cars, but not when I mess up on such silly stuff!

I had no rattles and then after a bit of unintended off-roading in the ice over winter due to tyres getting to their limit I now have one and I won't sleep until I sort it!.

Offline ReflexRob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Just reset it and the light is off. Cheers all

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
Yeah I like messing with cars, but not when I mess up on such silly stuff!

I had no rattles and then after a bit of unintended off-roading in the ice over winter due to tyres getting to their limit I now have one and I won't sleep until I sort it!.

Any damage to the arch plastics?  The only reason I say that is because I had a really irritating rattle, buried deep in the driver's side front corner somewhere.  I had much of that side of the interior apart trying to trace it, but eventually I tracked it down to a loose arch liner!  The plastic expanding nut behind the strut the screw goes into had popped out and was tapping on the metalwork.  Just wondering if the same has happened to yours after your bit of unintentional rallying.

Offline ReflexRob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
I fixed the rattle, it was indeed the front arch liner. The screw with plastic plug linking the front and top parts had separated. All sorted now