Make a donation

Author Topic: Inconsistent handling help needed  (Read 2491 times)

Offline wrlcs

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Inconsistent handling help needed
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 11:37:11 pm »
So I'm booked in at a different garage on Tuesday.  I have noticed that the rear springs are fitted with the writing upside down.  I don't believe that Eibach would do this so I suspect that this could be part of the problem although i could be wrong. I'll post a picture when i have chance.

Brendan

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 09:54:21 am »
They did the same on Corrado anti-roll bars, the writing was upside down  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline wrlcs

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 10:35:07 pm »
According to Eibach the writing on the springs should be the right way up so i guess that will be something to sort out when the car is in for knocking tomorrow.

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 01:46:06 pm »
Apologies if this has been suggested but I've only scan read the above. Saw my mechanic of choice the other day for a similar perceived problem. He pointed out some bushings on the rear which he said were common for causing some stability problems, perhaps like you mention in your original post.

I believe he pointed at bush number 15 on this image. Said to be these can be damaged when lifting the car as the suspension flexes in the opposite direction to normal operation - causing the bush to become loose in its bore. He tested by prying at this bush with a crowbar checking for horizontal play front-to-back. Suggested mine had some play but didn't warrant replacing yet. Worth a mention to your mechanic maybe? I would point out I may have identified this incorrectly. Though I think this was the area he showed me a few days back. Can be seen if stood under the middle of the car looking towards the forward most components of the rear suspension assembly.

I've decided to keep an eye on my issue and if it persists replace the arms which hold this bush. For now I'm trying outer courses of action to see if I can make improvements. Tyre pressures, adjusting steering weight with VCDS etc. P.s. My set up is totally stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline wrlcs

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 05:44:43 pm »
Thanks I'll take a look. If I ever get the knocking sorted out from having coilovers fitted I'll be considering a superpro rear bush kit so that may help.