Make a donation

Author Topic: Black intercooler?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Apearcey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Black intercooler?
« on: May 09, 2017, 12:49:13 pm »
I'm assuming the majority of people have seen the video by Mighty Car Mods myth busting intercoolers. They found that black intercoolers actually pump out FAR colder air.
Colder air = performance, but does anyone else have any proof of this working? Has anyone gone from a chrome/silver intercooler to a black one of a similar spec and noticed any difference?

I'm just curious :) I'm considering multiple different mods to my GTI.

Offline Paradox1

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
Re: Black intercooler?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 01:00:28 pm »
not worth the hassle, you wont notice any difference.
you can spray it black for stealth but doubt it would be noticeable

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 01:03:15 pm »
You can also see the video from Engineering Explained explaining that the black paint would only decrease the heat transfer from the air:metal:air interface. So no sure how that black painted IC would work better... :thinking:

Offline Apearcey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 01:12:24 pm »
Hmm! Curious as to my MCM got colder results from a black intercooler. They never actually strapped the intercoolers to a car, only bench testing with a fan and some thermometers...

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 02:04:19 pm »
Hmm! Curious as to my MCM got colder results from a black intercooler. They never actually strapped the intercoolers to a car, only bench testing with a fan and some thermometers...

Exactly.  I like MCM (well, Moog is annoying sometimes) but that is a flawed test.   As above, Engineering Explained's video goes into a lot more detail.  Just prepare yourself for complex math if you haven't seen it yet!

My own thoughts on it are; if you can barely notice the difference of a bigger intercooler on the bum dyno, then painting one black is going to be completely undetectable, but it might show up as a degree or 3 more on the dyno IATs......whoopee do, the engine won't go into thermal shock and turn to dust, so don't worry about it.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D