Make a donation

Author Topic: New steering control and now car won't start  (Read 2527 times)

willni

New steering control and now car won't start
« on: May 18, 2017, 07:40:02 pm »
Fitted a mfsw and new steering control module and now the car won't start. I have an airbag fault on in the car as well if that helps, I haven't coded the module just yet I think that's it but don't think that would affect the starting of the car.

any help is appreciated

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
Re: New steering control and now car won't start
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 08:30:27 pm »
Your airbag light will is on since you'ce took the steering wheel off and disconnected the airbag from the steering wheel.

You'll need VCDS to clear that light. Not sure if the coding of the module will make the car start? - Seems like something else is wrong here.
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

willni

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:00:42 pm »
Your airbag light will is on since you'ce took the steering wheel off and disconnected the airbag from the steering wheel.

You'll need VCDS to clear that light. Not sure if the coding of the module will make the car start? - Seems like something else is wrong here.

Thanks for the quick reply guess I'll refit the old module and see if it works and if it does just get vw to put the steering wheel on.

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:06:53 pm »
Yeah well since your airbag light is already lit you can change back and see if the cars starts. If it does then your new module needs to be coded before you can run with it.

Never seen or heard about that since the steering module doesn't controll anything that has to do with the start of the car? ( not that I know of anyway.. hehe)
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

willni

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 09:45:59 pm »
Yeah well since your airbag light is already lit you can change back and see if the cars starts. If it does then your new module needs to be coded before you can run with it.

Never seen or heard about that since the steering module doesn't controll anything that has to do with the start of the car? ( not that I know of anyway.. hehe)

Think i've been being thick and that it could well be that it's just bliw a fuse somewhere. Im trying to upload a video of it but it sounds like a rattle gun from
The under the bonnet and all the cluster lights cut out when i turn the ignition

willni

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 11:07:48 pm »
Update ; been fiddling about and its as if the cluster isnt getting full power so im starting to lean toward a blown fuse

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 08:57:44 am »
Have you checked the battery? The noise you describe is often when the battery is too weak to start the car.  Check the battery lead connections (assuming you disconnected before starting work) and if OK, try a jump start.  If it starts then I would suspect a discharged or failed battery.

Hope this helps.
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 09:09:46 am »
Rattle gun noise from the engine bay and dimming lights is classic flat battery. Get a jump start or put a battery pack on it before going in to it any further.

If you have a multimeter, check the voltage across the battery when trying to start the car, if its below 12v with ignition on, or drops below 10v when trying to start it, then you have a flat battery
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

willni

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 01:20:37 pm »
Rattle gun noise from the engine bay and dimming lights is classic flat battery. Get a jump start or put a battery pack on it before going in to it any further.

If you have a multimeter, check the voltage across the battery when trying to start the car, if its below 12v with ignition on, or drops below 10v when trying to start it, then you have a flat battery
Have you checked the battery? The noise you describe is often when the battery is too weak to start the car.  Check the battery lead connections (assuming you disconnected before starting work) and if OK, try a jump start.  If it starts then I would suspect a discharged or failed battery.

Hope this helps.

Thanks lad I've put it on a battery charger over night there so I'll go back down and see what's up later on, had a full positive and negative terminal removal for it to charge I'd love it to be just a flat battery  :smiley:

willni

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 05:56:59 pm »
It was a completely flat battery... moral of the story if you're not gonna drive a car for 6 months make sure you put a battery charger on it. Once it was charged started like a button and no dash lights etc and mfsw all working without coding required, so all in all a successful day.

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 08:10:21 pm »
Great you got the car running again mate! :) And yeah flat battery ..... ..... Did change mine a week ago, since the one I have had for 1.5 years could no more.

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 12:57:28 pm »
Great news! Glad you got it sorted with a simple fix. :happy2:
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!