Make a donation

Author Topic: VW screenwash? Pah what a load of old cobblers.  (Read 8029 times)

Offline TomB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 10
Re: VW screenwash? Pah what a load of old cobblers.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 12:06:13 am »

If the car is in warranty and the jets clog up, the dealers will only sort t out FOC if you've been using VW screenwash. Doesn't mean it won't clog up, just warranty issue.

How do they prove it? :confused:

I don't think most dealers are that bothered, but it could be easily spotted with litmus paper.  The cheap types use different alcohols.
Tom
05 GTI - 18" Merc wheels, coilovers, colour coded Votex kit, all waiting to go on.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 12:07:15 pm »
I can't be arsed to go 6 miles to the dealers for screen wash !!!!!!.I just use car plan or what ever else is on at the supermarket & have never had any problems.Bung a steri tab in every now & again keeps it nice & clean.  :happy2:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 10:57:46 pm »
Anyone know of a place (website, or ebay trader possibly?) to get the VW stuff cheap?

It seems to depend on different dealers as to how generous they are with giving it away for free. I still remember my 2nd service they left a bottle on the passenger seat. And last time I went into a local stealer they did me 5 bottles for the price of 4. But sometimes you get the power-trip-happy parts guy.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 10:54:27 am »
Do people REALLY have a problem with blocked jets? I would say it was more likely hard water causing the issue than screen wash. I've never had blocked jets on any of my 14 cars and I use any old crap screenwash that I can get. I usually get screenwash from Shell when I fill up the fuel, but failing that, I'll use any rubbish that I (or others) have lying around.

Offline cossy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
  • 57 REG ED30 5325 MILES!
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 12:42:58 pm »
Put paint thinners in mine, never had any problems, no mixing just neat does the trick :laugh: :rolleye:

Used the VW stuff over winter and its not frozen or blocked up yet.

Mind you new jets are less than a £5, so not too worried what I use to be honest.

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
    • DA Productions
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 05:39:46 pm »
Fwiw my area isn't hard water and never had any issues with blocked jets on any car.
It's just this vw. Even the Audi had no issues. Down to poor jet design IMHO

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 06:02:47 pm »
Anyone know of a place (website, or ebay trader possibly?) to get the VW stuff cheap?

It seems to depend on different dealers as to how generous they are with giving it away for free. I still remember my 2nd service they left a bottle on the passenger seat. And last time I went into a local stealer they did me 5 bottles for the price of 4. But sometimes you get the power-trip-happy parts guy.
I buy loads of OEM parts from one of the VW main dealers that uses ebay. Username is JCBVolkswagen. Send him an email and he comes back pretty quick with a quote. Always top notch service too, which is rare for a main dealer these days!

Offline SteveTDCi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 06:32:19 pm »
i've always used it, its not that expensive at £4 and smells erm lemony, and its never frozen up.