Make a donation

Author Topic: An electrical conundrum.  (Read 1558 times)

S70RGO

An electrical conundrum.
« on: May 31, 2017, 03:31:31 pm »
 :thinking:Afternoon all, this is my first post on this forum and unfortunately it's due to a fault I'm struggling to diagnose.

I finish work today, jumped in my car and all is well. Turned it on, fired straight up, aired straight up and compressor filled the tank as normal.

I noticed that my dash though my drivers door was open. Weird? I put it down to a door switch and ignored it.

I then noticed the following;
Indicators don't flash on dash (they still work externally)
Dash doesn't illuminate with headlights/sidelights on. (still work externally)
Headunit has no power to it, can't turn it on.
Rad fan runs constantly with engine on. Either I've just not noticed as I've always had music, or it's part of the same fault?
And of course, it thinks the drivers door is open.
Edit: And, my MFA thingy that displays MPG etc won't change mode on the stalk

Any help you can shed on this situation would be absolutely fantastic, as I've just spent a fair wedge of dough on my mk2 so I'll probably have to live with it for a while if it's going to cost me many many moneys.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 05:11:26 pm by S70RGO »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: An electrical conundrum.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:50:45 am »
Scanned it for fault codes?  Maybe it's the central convenience box having a fit?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 01:16:44 pm »
.... can't help, but if you're strapped for money, I'd save £100 fine by putting number plate one.

Have heard of three having fines this month for that.
Seems they are having a purge!
VW Golf 2.0 Gtd 140 4motion (2005)
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline SI-R32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 02:50:27 pm »
First thing you need to get done to help anyone with fault finding is get a scan with a code reader Preferably VCDS as the car is to technical just to pluck ideas from thin air.

If you post roughly where your from someone on this forum might be able to aid you in getting a scan with VCDS
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

S70RGO

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 07:00:18 pm »
Thanks for your replies Gents. I do own a version of VCDS but I can't remember for the life of me where the lead has gone. I know it's always the first port of call for fault finding, but I didn't have immediate access to it and I was dubious about getting an answer ASAP incase it got worse overnight and I couldn't drive it to work this morning.

I have however managed to fix it - I tracked it down to being the CECM unit throwing a tantrum. I disconnected the battery on both terminals and drained the system by putting crocodile clips on a tyre compressor on the leads. When I connected it all, presto!

In a fit of worry last night, I've also got a spare unit on the way from Lithuania, so I may keep hold of it incase this is the beginning of a 'thing'

Cheers chaps  :drinking: